Chapter Nine: Tough Times

Tough Times

Standing here doing nothing, unable to help find Bella had me feeling completely useless. No matter the places that I looked Bella wasn't anywhere to be seen and she didn't answer no matter how much we tried to call out to her. It was pouring outside where the volunteer were still doing what they could for Charlie and me.

A sigh escaped me as I rubbed my eyes and carried the cups that had steam coming out of them to the few that came inside to get out of the rain for a few minutes. They never stayed long and I couldn't blame them. They couldn't say how the search was coming as everyone continued to come up empty handed.

I had tried to call Sam but he wasn't answering. I didn't know what he was doing but I was sure he was busy with whatever it was. Plus, I didn't know what he would be able to do even if he did come.

The front door opened as I returned to back to the kitchen, telling me that more people were entering the house. Turning as I heard my dads voice I watched as he entered the living-room carrying someone with Sam and others following in behind him.

"Bella!" I called out feeling a set of warm arms hold me back as I watched my sister get placed on the couch. "Did he hurt her?" I asked staring at my pale white sister that looked more like a lifeless corpse then ever before.

"No." Sam's voice was hard as he answered. "I found her barely conscious."

I stood watching as Dr. Gerandy moved to check on my sister. He asked her questions, her voice barely above a whisper as he answered. Dad disappeared before reappearing with a few blankets.

Turning I didn't want to hear my sisters answer as I had a feeling it had to do with Edwards sudden disappearance. Instead I started thanking everyone for their help and kindly kicking them out of the house with promises that my father would answer any questions that might have later in the day, after Bella rested.

Soon it was only only five remained in the house, still on looking as the doctor finished going over Bella. I stood in the kitchen not knowing what I was supposed to do as I doubted Bella would want me to be in there as she got looked at. It felt like it was my fault that she became lost in the woods but that was stupid.

I didn't tell her to go hiking in the rain.

"Is it true?" I heard Charlie asked as they stopped in the hallways. "Did they leave?"

Did who leave?

"Dr. Cullen asked us not to say anything." Dr. Gerandy answered my head snapping in his direction. "The offer was very sudden; they had to choose immediately. Carlisle didn't want to make a big production out of leaving."

"Are you saying Carlisle and everyone just left? That they left?" I asked looking at Dr. Gerandy before at the others that surrounded him and Charlie. "They wouldn't do that. Edward wouldn't just leave Bella."

But I couldn't believe the words that left as it started to make sense. My sister wouldn't have went into them woods without a reason even if it was a completely stupid one that could make her ill. Alice wouldn't miss school without a possibly good reason and even then she would've still came over to the house.

Yet I couldn't see Edward leaving my sister. He just wouldn't do that, right? He wouldn't lead her into the woods and then make her lost hard to find, would he? He wouldn't just leave her when she needed him, right?

"Lilies." Sam said my head snapping in his direction. "They're gone."

Why would they just leave? Why didn't Jasper try to talk to me and reason with me about what happened? Why didn't he try to make sure that I was okay but mentally and physical?