(5) Jasper Hale

I was running. Running. I couldn't get away.

Why couldn't I get away.

A flash of red.

Run. I had to run.

Faster.

I couldn't sleep.

I couldn't eat.

My days were upside down and backwards. Nights were long. Longer than my days that dragged on like a bad replay.

No longer was I sure when the last time I slept was. Did I snooze a few hours the day before? Or was that last Thursday? And when had I actually eaten?

Nothing could make me better. And there was no one to help me.

I was completely alone.

Sam had disappeared for the last few days, giving excuses to why he couldn't show up. Something happened at work, pulling Dad out for longer hours. Bella... I couldn't worry her or mom.

Even the friends at school didn't make this feeling disappear. Mike bugged me, consistently wanting to hang out when he didn't have practice. I didn't know what his deal was or why he decided to friend me.

I had no feelings for him and wouldn't fall madly in love with the boy. My heart couldn't take more heartbreak.

Eric didn't really hang out with me expect at lunch, when he could bug Mike by stealing the seat next to me. But he and Angela were friendly with Bella, and that was one good thing that I could see with our move. She was actually friending those in town.

It was that Friday morning when I really noticed how screwed up I was becoming from the nightmares. The final snap that truly made me think I was alone. The break that would mess everything up.

A flat tire the night before had me deciding to snatch a ride with Bella. We were both getting ready, the room feeling much too small with the both of us looking for cloths and changing. The morning light drifted in, bringing little warmth with it.

Grabbing a jacket, I made for the door and only paused long enough for my question. "You want any coffee?"

It was the energy I need to keep going. And so, my limbs didn't feel like lead each second that passed.

"No."

With a nod, I left my sister to finish changing. I crash told me she fell into the table. She was going to have another bruise. There was always an endless amount of those when it came to her.

I had barely a sip of coffee by the time my sister was down the stairs and in the kitchen. She grabbed some bread for toast and looked at me. It was almost like she wanted to say something but didn't know how to.

"Mike plans to go to the beach sometime. He already asked me, and I said yes. You want to join us?"

I knew he had plans to ask her at some point. By the look that came, I knew it was one of those things that she didn't want to do.

"You should," I continued knowing full well she was going to say no. "You're making friends here, Bella. Maybe not some big connection where you paint each other fingernails and hang out all the time, but a connection."

She needed to make friends.

"Let me think about it, Renee. I'm not like you. I don't want friends."

Someone was in a bad mood.

"You want to be friends with Edward. Don't think I don't see you moping because he hasn't been at school. You met him, once, and suddenly he's the sun. Come on Bella, at least give the--"