Creating Subplots and Small Parts

I've touched on this before, but I'm gonna go into more detail here on the creation of subplots and minor scenes to help fill and flesh out your story.

Think of your main plotline being the main course in a meal. The sides are your subplot and seasonings on all portions are even smaller scenes that help add the final portion to complete it.

How do we make these though?

Well, consider the concept of your story. What timeline is it on? What is the main location?

These help you to think about how to make the subplots.

One example for a modern era story could be car issues, and I'm bringing this up as it's happening right now in my life and is a good way to add in slice of life to a story.

If you have a story set in a real life setting, taking things you notice around you is a good way to make a small scenario or subplot for your book.

Now, I'm taking my own book here as an example as it works with what's happening to my dad.

Creatures of the Night: Awakening takes place in Maine, USA. I happen to live in Michigan, which is another northern state.

The real life thing that happened is my dad's truck is having major issues, and I just overheard that it was kept secret from him that his truck was actually manufactured and sold in Canada. It has the wear and tear of someone who definitely used it for travel through ice and such.

Taking this from my life can make something interesting for my story, like finding out the family car that broke down actually wasn't supposed to come to the states (I'm not sure on reselling vehicles past country borders, so it's always good to see what laws are if you need them for your story).

Now, say you don't have a slice of life story like my paranormal story. Maybe you have scifi, stuff from your life could still make something interesting in this genre or even fantasy.

Your character got something that's common in their region, but it's not from that area, and because of it, it's unknown to those who repair that type of item.

That example is definitely more of a one time thing and not a sub plot. Most common subplots people use are romance, usually something they can toss in and can bring up every once in a while.

Most subplots that may be easier for writers are relationships. Whether it's romance, going through a divorce, mending a friendship, etc. These can help add a little something extra in to the story while not taking away from your main plotline.

Other options could be the following:

Trying to get a promotion at work.
Making sure the character's sports team wins their games.
Your character starting their own small business.
Someone in the family is sick.
Your character gets a pet.

There's many more options to explore, but I hope this helps a little bit with finding what can be a subplot or a small scene.