Morning Scenes

"Beep! Beep! Beep!

I slammed my hand on the alarm clock. I didn't want to get up..."

Okay, how many times have you guys read an intro to a book (or similar) like that?

Quite often, yes?

It's a terrible way to start a story off. Not to mention very cliché.

If you want to make an introduction interesting, you need to either give a gradual introduction to your main character or enter in with some action. It all depends on the speed of your story.

Another type of "morning scene" that is also cliché is the following:

"I ran down the sidewalk and turned as I made my entrance onto the school grounds. Once my foot touched campus property, the class bell rang.

'Crap!' I yelled out and bolted for the doors. I couldn't be late on my first day!"

This also has become cliché for many reasons:

1. It's a common intro for shojo animes
2. Many anime fans use this for their fan fictions
3. It's a cliché trend in books sporting the MC as the new girl

Now, I'm not saying it's taboo to use these type of intros for a book, but they're pretty darn annoying. Most teen fiction books I've stumbled across start with one of these things, and even anime fan fictions of Ouran High School Host Club, Vampire Knight, and other high school animes.

If you want to make it more unique, start it off with one of these ideas (possibly):

-Have the MC buying stuff at a flea market
-If the MC has a job, have it start there where she's working
-MC is hanging out with friends at a sleepover

There's way more than these, and you don't even have to start your story off with introducing the MC. Maybe you want to start it with the antagonist instead, or maybe an eerie prologue. Just don't go into a cliché introduction because it will bore readers way too fast.

You want to get their attention, correct?

Then by all means, make it interesting and fun. We don't want the bland waking up and looking into a mirror or running late for class.

I hope this helped some of you out. If there's anything you'd like to request I go over, just comment below!

And thank you so much for over 6k reads! I'm glad people are finding these tips useful! 😊