An Update on OCs in Fan Fiction (Continue on from the MS chapter)

So, lot of great comments there, many are old and probs weird if I reply there at the moment. But let's go over this again!

Back when I wrote it, I left a lot out. And when it comes to story changing is a big thing I did not talk about.

Yes, I still believe making a story where it doesn't affect canon is a great way, especially if your character isn't one you made to be involved in the main story (like I've done for Naruto and the plot for a Harry Potter fan fiction, which I'm still unsure of doing due to Rowling). There is also what most call an AU.

For those who do not know that it is short for, it is Alternate Universe.

AUs usually give people the idea of a fan fiction made in a high school, college, in space, etc. But it also applies to adding in OCs when altering canon!

Personally, any characters I have that alter canon are in their own timeline and I call it an AU. Very close to canon still, but it isn't.

This is possible to do and also a great way to include a character in the canon story if you so desire.

This then opens the what if's.

What if OC was with Canon character where they die in the show? What are those possibilities?

What if the OC confessed at a specific point? Could that alter how the canon character acts?

I can't think of many what if ideas at the moment, but you get the idea.

But along with this, a reminder that a Mary Sue/Gary Stu is still possible even in these scenarios. So double check they are overpowering, a know-all, etc. as those can cause a story to be boring and lose readers.

I will share some examples as well, some from my own stories.

Fragola (JJBA PT 5 OC) is officially dating Bruno and Leone by the start of Golden Wind. She gives some banter and fun, but doesn't influence canon much for her story. Only in mannerisms of trying to stop Leone form grabbing Giorno (which makes him get further into the place Trish and Bruno are) and then wanting to stick with Leone on the beach are where she alters the storyline majorly, but never in a way that makes her a hero. I'd share more, but I'd rather not spoil the series for anyone interested.

Another JoJo OC (I have too many 😅) known as Cole is a part 3 one. Who joins the crusaders as someone who was tracking E. Geil as a lead to Dio (cause of her best friend's death). Only alter she has is dueling Anubis instead of Jotaro (but he also still fights) and then being terrorized by Vanilla Ice when with Polnareff and Iggy.

These are just two examples of ways to push a character in.

And as I've shared, and you'll know if you've seen part 5 of the JoJo series, are major changes. Those type of changes need to make sense. I put Fragola in the same circumstance as Abbacchio for the one scene. That alter in the scene is her picking on him and clinging on as they walk back to the statue after helping some kids get their soccer ball. Then the canon thing happens. It's ways to integrate without making it go extreme "I DID IT" type situation.

I'm trying so hard to be vague and not spoil. I feel I can't explain more without spoiling 😅

But yeah. Think of ways that altering happens that aren't like super obvious. It puts your character at risk too. Think of what would be logical for your character in that scene you wish to integrate them in.

So remember balancing as you go and write stories where OCs interact with the canon plot!

Feel free to ask questions below too and I'll do my best to answer back! I'm just busy in life currently, so it's hard to keep up with all my apps currently. So thank you for patience too with me responding!