stolen moments- remus

You knew that you were being unwise, acting out of impulse instead of reason, something he'd surely berate you for, as he always did, but you couldn't quite keep yourself away from him tonight, and for that, you could hardly be blamed. You followed the familiar path down to the west wing of the palace, slipping into empty rooms and hiding behind corners when you sensed the presence of another. The thrill of your actions soon replaced with excitement to see him when you neared his bedroom. Your knuckles brushed against his door in a delicate knock, loud enough to alert him that there was someone here but not enough to inform the other guests of your presence in their side of the palace.

"Give me a second," he groaned from the other side of the wooden barrier, his hoarse, clearly tired voice setting your insides ablaze as you waited impatiently for him to discover you, not considering the consequences of your actions for one second. "What could possibly be important enough to bother me at this hour?" he pondered, the door finally opening to reveal his disheveled figure, free hand scratching at his shirtless chest before he realized who it was that came to disrupt his slumber. "Princess," he nearly gasped, delicately pulling you into his room with a giggle from your lips as he looked around the hallway in desperate search of anyone who may have spotted you.

"I'm certain I was not followed, I was careful," you promised, tugging on his arm as his hand rested ever so gently on your waist.

"Heavens, princess," he breathed, closing the door with one final glance to the outside before meeting your gaze. "You know that you cannot come down here unannounced, anyone could've seen you," he scolded, and your excited eyes faltered for a second. "Not to mention that if I had known you were coming, I'd have made sure not to be indecent upon your arrival," he noted, lips shadowing the faintest smile as he walked to his wardrobe to retrieve a shirt. "I thought we were smarter than this."

"I hardly mind your indecency, my lord," you quipped with a smile of your own, ignoring the warning glare he'd given you as you padded further into his room. "And I'm aware my actions may have been foolish, but I had to see you and I couldn't be expected to wait until morning, not with the day I've had."

"I insisted on being the one to tell you, though, your father has never been one to be advised against a mind already settled," his voice had grown soft like it had when the concept had been suggested the first time when it was but a drop of water in an ocean of other possibilities.

"I am to be wed," you noted, though neither of you were unaware, your frustration clear even though much hadn't been said. "Am I to assume that my royal adviser fought against this?"

"As if my very life depended on it, as it does, no?" he was the first to step towards you, shaking his head as your excitement deflated into the hard truth of a fate you had no desire for. "I could only do so much unless I were to announce my feelings for you to the entirety of parliament," his calloused fingers moved slowly, as always, as he brushed a thumb over your cheeks to rid the soft flesh of tears.

"I have no say in the matter," you gasped, and he nodded in understanding, giving you a moment to breath when your fingers surrounded his wrists. "What if I wish to fight for you?" you asked him, desperate as you stepped even closer, seeing no need for space in a moment so drastically intimate. "What if I wish to fight for us, Rem?" you watched his eyes as they fled over your face, the simple slip of addressing him by his name made his entire body ache, an unfamiliar comfort he would need no time to adjust to.

"I wish to fight for you too," he promised in return, and you ached to be even closer, in his arms, against his chest, you ached for a level of intimacy only provided by the one whom you loved.

"But if we have no more time."

"We have," he objected, empty words, words to soothe your heart, but not your mind. "We have, and I believe we will find a way to be happy, together, but no more tears tonight, hmm," he cooed, and though you tried not to, you instantly melted into his touch when his other hand moulded around your cheek.