this is who I love- remus

You had not noticed how long you had been hiding in the little dressing room, so caught up in the way the material hugged your body in all the wrong ways that the sound of footsteps approaching the door completely escaped you, it was the gentle knock against the dark wood that startled you from your thoughts.

"Y/n?" Remus hummed softly, the door clicking lightly as he leaned against it and you felt awful noticing the lightness of his voice, the happiness that dripped from it. "You still doing alright in there, love?"

You felt silly, you had planned for this day to be a little escape for Remus, his first off day in quite a while and he insisted that he wanted to spend the day with you, spoiling you with something pretty for the big night. Yet here you were, crying in the dressing room, fingers prodding desperately at the stuck zipper of a dress that should be your size, yet is the furthest thing from it. You did not want to ruin the day for Remus, did not want to bother him with insecurities the poor man had no business worrying about. So, you sucked in a soft sigh, attempting to shake away your thoughts as you lifted your hands to quickly wipe away any remaining evidence of you being upset before letting your fingers fall back to the task at hand, barely stifling a groan as you struggled to free yourself of the beautiful, yet hideous by spite dress.

"I'll be out in a moment, Rem," you breathed, though there was no way the quiver in your voice didn't instantly gain his concern, he knew you, after all, knew exactly when you were upset or when something was bothering you and he knew more than anything when you were trying to hide it from him. "I'm alright," you added hopefully but it was no use.

"Love," he began and the floor creaked when he stepped back, actions already mapped out as he paused at the closed door. "Can I come in, please?" he asked, and you finally allowed a sigh to escape your lips as you offered him a barely audible groan of consent.

His eyes raced to meet yours as soon as he stepped in behind you, closing the door when he noticed you were half-dressed, confusion tilting into his brows at the sight of you. You might have rid your cheeks of the tear stains, but there was no hiding the red shadow in your eyes or the irritation on your skin, not to mention the dress that was currently sitting halfway up your chest, stuck below your bra as you shook your head in protest.

"Oh, I look awful, Remmy," you cringed, attempting to hide yourself from his caring gaze as your arms surrounded your body, your man not sparing a second before he shook his head in objection, not needing to put much thought into your behaviour to know what was going on. "I don't know how but none of these dresses seem to fit and the ones that do, don't look quite right and some-" you groaned, puffing lightly to blow a strand of hair from your face, not that it improved the picture you had created for him to see. "Some of them fit perfectly yet still look awful," you explained, and a small pout tugged at your lips as you looked at him through the mirror.

"I see," he noted, and his fingers were gentle as they settled on your shoulders, thoughtlessly guiding you to lean back into his chest, brows furrowed as he kissed the back of your head, allowing you a moment to settle in his presence before thinking of saying anything else.

Remus had an almost sixth sense when it came to you, knowing without much prompt when you needed to be talked down or when you needed to be comforted and he realized quite quickly that you were longing for the latter. The two of you never truly talked about your insecurities but it was impossible to deny that they were there, and they always seemed to peak their head out on days like these. You were already extremely nervous to meet Remus' friends and you wanted more than anything to look beautiful at his side, so he understood why something as simple as the dresses not fitting, could lead you to believe that all was ruined and send your nerves into overdrive.

"I just wanted to look pretty for you," you noted after a moment, your eyes closed now as Remus' arms took the place of your own, swallowing you in his embrace as you melted into his hold.

"You always look pretty for me, Y/n," he protested almost instantly, taking advantage of your closed eyes to inspect what he was working with, noting the way the unkind seam was beginning to irritate your skin where it sat tightly around you, he hated that, hated the way it must've felt not only uncomfortable but probably only assisting in making you upset. "You are my pretty baby, hmm," he voiced, and you mumbled in objection when he wanted to pull away from you.

"Remus- "

"You're not the problem here, love," he informed you with fingers brushing over your waist to show you what he was talking about. "Why don't we get this off, then I can show you what I mean," he left little time for objection before attempting to unzip the dress, a small gasp fled from your mouth when he proceeded to rip the sides from each other, not a single strand of patience with the silly object that dared to sadden his girl. "We'll add it to my bill," he shrugged when his eyes found yours again, earning a giggle from you as he tapped your legs to have you step out of it, one foot at a time before he kicked it to the other side of the little room. "There she is," he sighed with a silly smirk, eyes almost twinkling as you laced your fingers with his, letting him take you in completely.

"I look exactly the same, Rem, no different at all," you noted with curious eyes to which he pinched your waist lightly, softly reprimanding you for talking down at the person whom he loved more than either of you could fathom.

"That's not true," he moved his hands to your stomach, smiling with gentle encouragement as the motion made you tense in his hold, "This is who I love. With every curve, with every dent, every line that traces your skin- this is who I love, this body and the lovely soul inside of it- this is my girl, my pretty, heavenly girl, and no piece of clothing would ever change that for me," his tone was so soft, so careful, like honey dripping from a spoon, it bled into every fibre of your being as your cheeks flushed with warmth.

"I love you," you whispered, taking hold of his hand to turn yourself around, burying yourself in his chest as he chuckled lightly, squeezing you tightly as you placed a kiss in between his pecks. "You're too good to me," you insisted as he rubbed your back to soothe you, pulling back a bit to force you to meet his gaze.

"You're too hard on yourself, angel," he hummed and met your pouted lips with a quick peck, smiling as you leaned into him in search for more, one of his large hands lifted to cup your cheek. "Why don't you get dressed and we go find a new store, hmm?"

"I don't know," you shrugged, fiddling with his shirt as it laid beneath your fingers on his stomach. "Can we go home instead? I would rather spend the day in your arms than in and out of stores," you admitted, and his heart all but leaped from its place at the sound of you referring to his house as home, not to mention the absolutely adorable dip in your voice while asking to spend time with him alone.

"Sounds perfect. How about I go and pay while you change and then we can go?" he suggested and gave you one quick kiss before picking your own clothes from the floor and handing them to you, hovering at the door to catch one last glance at the excited smile that now tilted into your lips. "Hey, Y/n?" he mused, and you looked up to him with a curious hum. "I love you, too."