to the moon and to saturn- remus

Remus had a hard day, those weren't as rare as they used to be, exam season coming into full swing leaving the poor professor drained, in desperate need of sleep as he sat back on his sofa sipping at the last sip of his red wine staring tiredly at the tests scattered over the coffee table. You, however, were in a much different mood, excitedly pulling your sleeve over your wrist. You'd never been one to do something spontaneous, happy with following a set plan for every aspect of your life until you'd met Remus, the most unexpected thing you'd ever allowed yourself to indulge in was losing him. You'd heard the stories of him, the rumours of a wild teen taking Hogwarts by storm and managing to surprise everyone with his genius in the process, and though you'd never known that version of him, happily loving the more mature and wise version you'd gotten the honour of falling in love despite your best intentions not to, you'd have a soft spot for your Moony and you always wanted to show him that.

You weren't surprised to hear the soft jazz that filled the little muggle apartment the two of you shared, the music had quickly become your own reminder of home when he had to stay at Hogwarts during the full terms. You were even less surprised to find him in the living room, barely made it out of his suit, tie hanging undone around his neck as he offered you the purest smile despite sleep tugging it down.

"Darling," Remus breathed with the gentlest tone, enough to pull you right to him and you gave in quickly, kicking off your shoes in the process of walking to him, sighing in pure delight as you fell into his lap. Your hand moved to their own accord as you began brushing his hair out of his face, smiling fondly at the sight of him, so perfect despite the state of him and somehow all yours.

"You should be in bed," you reprimanded, and he hummed, half in agreement, half in regret that he couldn't go to bed yet even if he wanted to. It was silly, really, the way you'd dance this little dance every night, yet every time you looked at him and held him like this it felt new, a little blessing you received anew each day. "But I'm glad you aren't," you didn't think he'd perk up so quickly at that, daring hands moving lower down your back as you shifted. "I did something."

"I'm going to need more than that, trouble," you smiled, biting back a giggle at his curious gaze trying desperately to see if he missed a new haircut or new clothes, you were always very excited to show him either of those, but you seemed too familiar by the looks of it. You allowed the giggle to escape, excitedly presenting him your wrist, the tattoo was fresh, painful still and you were sure in an hour you'd absolutely hate yourself for the spontaneity, but Remus was smiling through furrowed brows, he was excited because you were excited but the more that he looked at it the less he knew what to do with his face.

"It's Saturn," you explained, not explaining much in the process but still it was a start, his fingers were gentle as they took hold of you, thumb hovering over the design tracing it in the air and even though he didn't touch you it still earned a shiver through your body. "I love you to the moon and to Saturn," seemed simple enough but his thumb paused over the little paw prints that spread through the fine linework, he knew it was for him, he didn't have to think too hard to note that, but he couldn't believe it. "My moony," you whispered, and he couldn't kiss you fast enough, smiling against your lips when you whispered your little question, asking him if he liked it, the silliest question in the world.

"My star," he teased, and his grip was strong as it cupped your warm cheeks, your smile was poisonous, killing him slowly as he tried to capture it into his memory. "It's beautiful, you're beautiful," he was careless in stealing another kiss, not surprised when you leaned into it, into him, gentle hands traveling up his crinkled button-down shirt.

"I got it for you," you mumbled and looked down to the little gesture, happy now with the looks of it, happy that he likes it.

"Yeah?" his tone was low, playful really despite how much he appreciated every bit of your sweet honour to him, you were shy, the biggest thing someone has ever done for him and you're shy and he wanted to see how far he could push it. "Now why would you do that?"

"So that I can always have you with me."

"Always, huh," he flipped you over, smiling as your eyes daringly took in every bit of him. "I love you," and he did, more than simple words could tell you but you knew, you felt it. "To Saturn," he added and gently brought your hand up to look at the declaration of love painted into your skin for all eternity.

"To Saturn," you breathed and he placed a featherlike kiss on the transparent band-aid covering the art of your love.