little bird part one- sirius

There was a vibrant hum in the palace as you walked down the stairs, hearing aggravated groans filled with words that you simply knew they'd have swallowed had you already been in the room. You expected no less in your parents' absence, everyone wanting to have their say in managing the situation at the gate, nearly hundreds of men and women gathering in angry hoards as they tugged at fencing, threw at windows, and cursed into the air. There were many opinions, always were, however, a queen and her husband missing and leaving her children to command her country while she was indisposed, prompted all the more than usual.

The door to your mother's office opened from inside, strange faces meeting you as you stepped into the doorway, a silence shivering over the small space as James sighed, almost relived as men backed away from the corner, they'd talked him into, merely bowing their heads in acknowledgment of your presence.

"Ah," he began and brushed his shirt into place as he nodded towards you. "Little sister, I assume you've come to enlighten us on the only right way to handle our little predicament?" he mused, and you knew his tone to have a familiar mix of sincerity yet belittlement to it.

Your brother was an odd creature, unlike either of your parents, unlike you for that matter. Never one for the politics of your home, the weight of your family, much rather cooped up in his room with his paintings, he'd have himself starved yet inspired instead of sitting about the throne dealing with issues of state. He was wise in his personal endeavors, but foolish in his belief that the Potter name held no purpose in his life, despite your shared responsibilities he'd always managed to twist your lives to benefit his own, though admirable for some, it left you plastered in his misfitting shoes.

"Consider the problem already solved," You began and as if on cue, Lily came stumbling into the room behind you, momentarily stealing the men's attention before demanding eyes fell back onto you. "Though I'm sure my parents appreciate council being offered so graciously to their children, I can assure you that we are capable of managing our own affairs," You explained and cleared your throat as you stepped aside, hands folded in front of you as you waited for them to understand your request.

"I think what my sister is far too kindly trying to say, is that our mother fairs well without a bunch of old men telling her what to do and so will we," James agreed and with a tired shrug he plumped down onto the leather office chair, gesturing the gaping men out of the room with an outstretched hand as he smiled at you. "So, what're you going to do?" he asked once the room had cleared, assuming you'd miss the way his gaze lingered but a second too long on the woman who hovered at your side, hand resting on her gun halter as she looked at her feet.

"What I always do," you informed him, allowing an arrogant smile to tilt into your lips, knowing it had no place there yet having no control over it all the same. "Clean up your mess."

It was not long before you were pulling your coat around your body, ignoring the warnings that Lily was mumbling, a well-known mantra much like the one she'd heard from Regulus when he was training her to be your guard and much like you did to him, you paid the words no mind. You pulled the hood over your head as you reread the map on your phone to guide you in your escape, feet leading you past the staff rooms, through the fire escape that led you right into the hidden gardens where James thought he could smoke in secret.

"Princess, your parents wouldn't approve of this," Lily whispered, peering around the lawn as you opened the hidden latch that was made by the very person you were running to see. "Now is not the time to take this risk, not when they're not here to get you out of trouble."

"I have no choice, you know that, and they'd know that as well," you bargained, knowing she had no intentions of making you stay when she followed you out of the gate and to the outside, the shouting and stomping growing louder as the two of you looked around for the car that he'd sent for you.