little bird part two- sirius

You half expected them to be waiting for you, ready with the full set of questions they usually have you run through, your mom with James, your dad with you, conveniently working to your advantage even though they've yet to figure that out. Your mother always got James to squeal, just the right amount of pressure and he'd sing like a bird, his own praises of course, some pile of lies about how he saved the day, made it all work out to his good without the real details, which you'd fill up for him with your dad, despite the knock to your own pride. However, the palace was eerily quiet when you and Lily arrived, the staff at hand and ready as always but your parents weren't waiting in the dining room after you'd trekked your way there, James was eating alone, the table set yet empty still but there was some food missing from what would've been their plates.

"Look at you, home just in time for your warm welcome," he spoke over a nearly empty glass of wine, messily setting the glass down next to his plate. "How'd you do it, little sister?" it was a slurred question, one he'd probably been pondering since you left and you were ready as always too, prepared with a line-up of stories fit for the situation but your curiosity got the better of you, you wanted this conversation to end quickly and find them soon after. Whatever they're flawed parental endeavours, your parents were torturously insistent on having dinner together every night it was possible, especially after long trips away from their children, especially after a crisis.

"Regulus," the easiest lie, also the one that prompted the least number of questions, you didn't expect him to scoff, didn't expect him to smirk at you either and you were just about to question that when you heard the man in question's voice, followed only by your father's.

"I heard my name," Regulus looked as handsome as ever, more so in his uniform than you remember from growing up and mostly just seeing him prancing around in a loose shirt and jeans, your dad was smiling so brightly you'd think he hasn't seen him in ages though really you all saw him the day they left, still you believe age was making him softer than before, you'd never tell him that. Regulus smiled over at you as well, his face distorted momentarily as your dad forced you into a hug, a quick kiss placed to your cheek as you just barely caught the little nod that Regulus gave you, it said enough, it promised that Sirius came through in more ways than one. "Good to see you again, Princess, heard my friend helped you out," Your dad didn't let go, didn't ask for confirmation either but you knew if your mother was around that wouldn't be the case.

"I'm sorry I'm late, I got stuck in traffic on the way back- can't believe you beat me home," you lied, gripped your dad's waist as one last welcome home before he let you go and drifted right back to Regulus' side. "And all of you at that, actually, where's mom?" you had to wonder if Regulus had caught her up yet too or was that your task to do.

"She's waiting for you in the kitchen," Your dad wasn't one to pretend he didn't know she spent the whole time away simply waiting to be back to gossiping and eating the night's dessert right from the fridge before the boys got to it, the only little bit of royal rebellion she had left in her after all this time. "Leave some for the rest of us, won't you," he joked, and you smiled, a familiar thing, it felt good having them home after all, despite the drama and the lies that was ahead of you.

"Actually, can I have a word with you first?" the question was for you but it was aimed at your dad still, he nodded, didn't think much of it really, mumbled something about having the server set up some new plates for him and Regulus who took hold of your arm gently to guide you as far away from curious ears as he could without looking suspicious. "What were you thinking?"

Honestly you should've expected him to push back, even if you were the one to set up the agreement between Regulus and Sirius, Regulus was very serious about never speaking to him alone, without protection- had he only known how common that was, how many nights you'd snuck off right into danger without a single consideration about what might go wrong. It started out as a deal for peace and peace was definitely still the goal, but there was something intriguing about Sirius, about a man brought up in the role of his family, no choice, not really and somehow there still seemed to be so much more to him, behind the title and the danger and the threat of his very being. Maybe you related to him in the most mundane way, carrying a burden that was yours way before you were even born, fighting a battle that was started even long before that.

"Oh, don't start, alright, Lily was with me, and we were careful," you checked the door, made sure he closed it properly just in case your whispered words weren't soft enough. "You being here, saying that to my dad, that's more cause for suspicion than anything else," you were right, he knew that too, and logic couldn't explain why he said what he said, he just wanted to show you that he knew, show you that he was unhappy being cut out when you were only ever supposed to be the one in the middle.

"I'm sorry," he pulled a hand through his hair, rolled his eyes into the air as if annoyed with himself, for a man who taught you to think through every action, every word, he wasn't doing a very good job living by that. "Listen, I don't like the idea of you being too comfortable around him, around his people- he's helping us now, but don't confuse his willingness for alliance."

"I know," you did, so why you were annoyed at hearing it was beyond you. "He's a means to an end, Regulus, I know that and so does he- I needed help, he was willing to provide that, don't confuse my ability to play at your game for naivety."

You caught him on that and there was more to be said but your mother was calling for you, your brother was hallway through another drunken rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody sung at the top of his lungs and your phone was burning a hole in your pocket, begging you to text the very person you swore you could not care less about.

"If your mother finds out now, before we're ready, it'll ruin everything, we'll cause a war."

"And if she finds out you're the one making me hide it from her, there will be much more than a war for you to worry about," you had grown tired of this conversation, wanted to be anywhere else. "Goodnight, Regulus, it was good seeing you again, but we have a system for these types of conversations, don't bring this up in the palace again."

Fresh off what anyone would consider a victory, you were more annoyed than relieved, there was something to be said about being a powerful woman in this family. Your mother had taken a crown meant only for her corrupt father and built a country up from ruin, ended the reign of the mafia threatening to destroy the entire monarchy and she'd done so while raising two children and facing the constant ridicule of marrying her military advisor and still- beyond all logic, woman still had to earn their place in this palace. It was frustrating, the only person who'd yet to question your abilities was Sirius Black, the very man you should stay as far away from as possible.

"There's my girl," you'd found your mom crossed legged on the counter, she was about as far away from a royal example as you could get, yet still she never looked out of place, even with remnants of chocolate pudding smudged on her chin and your father's dress shirt thrown over her sleep pants way before it would be acceptable for the staff to see her as such.

"Mom," she opened her arms for a hug, one hand balancing her bowl, the other taking you into her chest just like she did when you were a kid and you laughed lightly at the sight of her, used the sleeve of your shirt to wipe her face, earning a warm smile from her lips as well. "I'm glad you're home safe," what else could you say, truly it wasn't the first time your parents had disappeared without a word or warning, and you considered it might not be the last, while you considered your future, they were still putting out fires from other parts of their past. "We missed you."

"I hear James saved the day," you both scoffed at the same time, laughed because of it, of course she'd never fall for the pretty tales told in her absence, if only she knew. You slipped onto the counter with her, took the extra spoon she offered and scooped a large bite from her bowl. "Thank you," you hummed around your spoon, shrugged it off quickly, as much as it did your ego good, you didn't want her to create an opportunity for you to lie to her. "Your dad and I are very proud, you know, can't imagine it was easy having to deal with this mess just the two of you."

"Well, I mean we had help."

"Regulus, of course," she wasn't technically wrong so you saw no reason to try and correct her. "Well still, dove, you were very brave," the words sent your mind adrift and as if his ears were burning all the way across town your phone vibrated in your pocket, two times, just like you'd set it to and while she was reaching over the counter for some more sprinkles you couldn't help stealing a glance to see what it said. "Think your dad would want some cherries with his?" you nodded, hummed, you'd think you were entirely focused on her but really you were going over the sentence a few more times in your head.

From Padfoot: Glad you got home safe, little bird, I'll let you know how I'm planning to collect my debt soon.