Part 8: The Knife Thrower

Sunghoon dressed in a blue knitted cardigan with a white tee underneath.

His mother had been looking anxious all day, Sunghoon tried to find out why by asking.

Yet, she only revealed it was because of her work.

Sunghoon walked down the stairs, Mrs.Park looked up at him.

"Where are you going?" His mother asked.

"To Memoria's peak, to watch a carnival show" Mrs. Park's eyes were wide with terror as she listened to her son.

She suddenly stood up and strode to her son.

"Sunghoon, I don't like the idea of you going there. You know bad things happened up there" Mrs.Park said, her face wretched with concern and anxiety.

"Must you go tonight?" She added.

Sunghoon stared at his mother in confusion.

"Mom, the place had reconstructed well. That was in the past, it is different now.

I'm sure nothing will happen, and there are security guards and CCTV everywhere. I must go, I promised Jungwon, Heeseung, and Sunoo." Sunghoon reassured.

His mother sighed. Lost at the game.

"Fine, but call me if anything's wrong. Just stick to your friends and don't wander off." Mrs.Park warned.

Sunghoon nodded and hugged his mother.

Heeseung, Jungwon, Sunoo, and Sunghoon settled themselves at the audience chairs.

The room was huge and circular, in the middle of the room was where the performances should take place. Where the ground was sand.

The audience seats were surrounding the performance area.

The boys will get a clear view of the upcoming performances.

Sunghoon noticed half of his schoolmates were there.

He saw Sarina at the east of the room.

He was relieved that she did not see him.

As the audience had filled enough, the lights were shut off.

The room was left in pitch black.

The lights suddenly turned on, at the center of the room was a group trapeze stacking on top of each other shoulders.

Afterward, the crowd gasps as the trapeze swinging and flying in the air.

Sunghoon got his heart in his throat when a trapeze threw herself out of her swing and got caught by another member of the group.

They watched Acro dance, Animal Trainer, Plate Spinning, and much more.

The only thing that bothered Sunghoon was the large build men overlooking the performance area, they looked like humans yet something was off about them.

Then, came the last performance.

'The Knife Thrower'

All of the boys were shocked when the Ringleader announced and Jake Shim strutted out of the back with his usual boyish grin on his face.

A very beautiful girl was set to be the target.

An assistant tied her up securely at her position.

While Jake sharpened his knives.

The audience was impressed when Jake flipped the knives in his hand.

Out of the blue, he threw the knife. The crowd gasps and screamed.

It stuck 2cm away from the girl's head.

He threw two more and the knives had all avoided the girl.

Jake then carelessly threw more, most of the crowd had covered their eyes.

Sunghoon thought that the performance was violent for children.

Then, he used a knife's rotation technique.

The boys had their stomachs churned.

Jake then ordered the assistant to spin the girl. As the target board was actually a spinning board.

"IS HE CRAZY!" Jungwon shouted.

Sunoo covered his whole head with his jacket.

The assistant did as he was told, Jake then carelessly threw more knives.

The crowd was on the edge of their seat.

A scream rang out.

From the girl.

"Did she get hurt?!" Heeseung stood up from his seat.

The board stopped spinning, and the girl was uninjured.

The assistant untied the girl, and she twirled.

There were no signs of wounds.

A huge round of applause came for Jake.

He curtsied in gratitude.