Book 2: Chapter 4

Taka and I arrived at the dimly lit hallway with a red door. With a sigh, I pushed the door open to an empty room which looked like some sort of waiting area. I took a spot at the corner of the room and waited for everyone to arrive. Taka stood at the door and counted everyone as they walked in. Eventually, everyone arrived except for Makoto. A few moments later, Makoto barged through the doors.

"You're late, Makoto! We've all been waiting for you!" Taka shouted at him. "Hmph. I bet you were afraid you would be discovered as th-the murderer you are...." Toko said, smirking to herself. I was about to speak but Taka spoke up. "Let's not jump to conclusions just yet! Save that for the class trial! There we can all reveal the details of Makoto's crime!" Well, he almost said what I was going to say.

"We all must wait until we show all of the evidence in the class trial. Until then, we can't pin the crime on Makoto," I said. I looked over at Kyoko who had nodded. Another announcement from Monokuma played on the monitor.

Puhuhu... Is everyone here? Okay then. Please board the elevator in front of you, which will transport you to the courtroom where all your fates will be decided. Puhu. I'll meet you all down there. I'll be waiting...."

The monitor then clicked off, leaving us in silence. I glanced over at Leon, who looked anxious. 'I will prove you are the killer,' I thought to myself, waiting for everyone to board the elevator. I waited until I was the last one, then entered. The doors shut behind me with a clank, and we started our descent down to the courtroom.

"You seem to be thinking a lot," Byakuya said to me. "That's because I am," I replied. He chuckled. "If I was stupid I would think you were the killer." I looked at him. "Well, you are stupid, so I guess I'm the killer." I turned back around and looked over at Taka. He was looking between me and Byakuya nervously. I couldn't help but feel annoyed by the distractions surrounding me. That's when the elevator clanked to a halt. The gates opened, almost inviting, to a classical-looking, blue and red colored courtroom with checkered floors. I was the first one to leave the elevator.

We took a spot at our designated spots behind the 17 podiums laid out throughout the room. I was positioned next to Taka and where Sayaka would have been. A painting was there in her place. 'Wait--17?' I realized. "Monokuma, why are there 17 seats when there's only 16 of us?" I asked him. "Oh, no reason. It's just that our little courtroom here can technically fit up to 17 people," he replied. "I find that quite hard to believe," Celeste said. "Puhuhu! How observant you all are! But let's focus on what we set out to do. To find the murderer of Sayaka Maizono!" he said. And with that, the class trial began.

"Let's begin with a basic explanation of the class trial! So, your votes will determine the results. If you can figure out "whodunnit" then only they will receive punishment. But if you pick the wrong one....then I'll punish everyone besides the blackened, and the one that deceived everyone else will graduate!" Monokuma explained, once again.

"And the killer really is one of us, right?" Makoto asked. "Of course!" Monokuma replied. "Okay then...everyone close your eyes, and whoever did it, raise your hand!" Taka announced. "Seriously?" I asked, laughing. "Don't be a goddamn idiot. Why the hell would they raise their hand?" Mondo countered.

"Can I ask a question before we continue?" Kyoko asked, ignoring Taka and Mondo. "What's going on with....those pictures?" "I'd feel awful if they got left out just because they died. Friendship penetrates even death's barrier!" Monokuma answered. "Bullshit! You just have them there to remind us of who has died!" I shouted. "....Puhuhu!" Monokuma replied.

We then began our debating. We were discussing the situation that had caused Sayaka to come to her death. "She didn't even have a chance to resist," Chihiro said. "No, that's wrong!" Makoto shouted. "Just a second, Chihiro. Try to remember how my room looked. With the way things had been damaged, I think we can definitely assume there was a struggle." Makoto added.