I learned my lesson

(Chase Pov)

The cage under the stairs houses me in a tight space. Vernon was firm on "no food or water for a week." I heard Petunia persuade him into allowing me a small cup of water a day. I sighed with relief. I could die without at least some substance for my body.

The water never keeps me full. My stomach twists and growls for fuel but never receives it. I can no longer produce tears from the lack of anything inside of me. The water comes in and runs through every other day. I start to scratch tally marks with my figurines to keep track. Day one turn into day fourteen! I want food and sunshine. He lied about it only being a week. Vernon definitely wants it to sink into my head about my situation as a slave. I heard the cage unlock and it opened to the bright hallway. I shielded my eyes.

"Vernon wants to talk to you in the living room." I removed my hands from green eyes to look at Petunia. She leans back to make room for me to come out. I crawl out of the darkness on all fours. Petunia walks ahead of me to the kitchen. I stood up on wobbly knees to follow her. When I enter the kitchen, I saw pans on the stove. Petunia pulled out bacon in plastic wrapping. I turned to the left to see Vernon sipping hot liquid. He buried his face deeper into the newspaper in his right hand. I walked in front of him. He looked up at me quickly.

"Good job on the coffee, dear!" Vernon threw the newspaper beside him. He sat the porcelain white cup on a small plate that contrasted with the brown wooden coffee table.

"Have you learned your lesson?" He asked folding his hands. I looked up at Petunia who was busy cooking. I want to scream, cry, laugh, and just collapse from the madness of this situation."Do not make me repeat myself!" Vernon yelled at me. Petunia dropped something in the kitchen with a loud clank. I just shut my eyes.

"The lesson is received," I said opening my eyes to see a grin. He folded his bulky arms over his chest.

"You forgot to add respect to your words." I looked down at my feet. Dirty socks crunched into the floor.

"The lesson is received, sir." He clapped his hands together in joy."Did you hear him? My dear! He finally knows his place in this house." I just nodded my head not wanting to look at his pleased face.

"You are free to go." He waved me off but before I walked past, Vernon grabbed my frail arm."You better remember this lesson, freak. I do not like repeating myself." He pushed me harshly that I almost went into the sidewall. I was going to return back to my cage."Boy!" I turned to Petunia who is holding a plate of steaming food. She pushed the plate into my hands.

"Eat it in the cupboard before Dudley wakes up." She said. I scamper away into the cupboard and close the door tight. She did not give me a fork for the food but I did not care. I ate everything on my plate in my dark cage. I almost licked the crumbs off the plate. I hugged the cold plate to my chest to dream about the content of a full stomach.