055

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗜𝗙𝗧𝗬-𝗙𝗜𝗩𝗘
𝙗𝙤𝙣𝙚𝙨.

THE TWINKIE FLEW DOWN the many roads of Kildare island, going her maximum speed as they raced to the old tree.

"Guys, we're coming up on Freedman's church." Pope yelled over the rock music blaring from the radio, "the church Denmark built for all the slaves that were freed."

A heart wrenching wave of deja vu hit Aria as they turned down the dirt road, the haunting images of her father and her making her head spin, "Angel Oak."

"Oh, shit! Tide's coming in." John B planted his foot on the break, an unreadable expression on his face as he turned to look at the group crowded in the back.

"Hey, wait a second. Look. They already came through. Those have to be Limbreys tire tracks. Guys, we gotta go." Pope shook his head, his eyes boring into the tire marks imprinted into the wet dirt.

JJ blew out a nervous breath as he glanced at the driver, "mmm, what do you think, chief?"

"I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey." John B glanced back at the large puddle of water blocking off their route.

The puddle was deep, maybe even to deep for the Twinkie to hand, and boy could she handle it all.

"Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with that statement." Aria added, shaking her head with protest as she slumped in the bench seats.

At this point, they had all felt stranded. If they had decided to go in this puddle, the chances of them getting stuck and lost were high. If they had decided to turn back and go home, they'd loose the chance of getting Denmarks cross.

"Okay, clearly they made it." Kie blurted, pulling her brows together.

"In a two wheel drive? I don't know about that." JJ shook his head, bringing his pointer finger to his lips.

Sarah rolled her eyes, "why are y'all acting like you aren't going to do it anyways. Like when have y'all ever done the safe thing?"

Aria clicked her tongue, nodding her head in agreement with the blonde, "she's got a point."

"Speed is your friend here, okay? So put her down in second and hammer down, brother." JJ moved to the edge of his seat, placing his palm on the back of Popes seat as a form of balancing himself.

"Stick to the ground in the middle. All right, ready?" Pope added, gripping the handle bar above as he glued his back to the seat.

All of the friends had something to grip onto, anything could go wrong at this point.

John B raised his hand to the radio, turning the notches up as the rock music roared through the speakers, making them whistle.

"Come on. Punch it."

The van went flying forwards, splashing brown water around them as the wheeled dug into the ground below them.

"You're not going fast enough." JJ yelled, his eyes glued to the water tricking down the windows.

"I'm in second."

"It's gonna slide."

John B had every ounce of fault on him, his hand clutched the wheel, knuckles going white as he pressed his heel onto the gas, his jaw clenched with concentration.

"Not to put any more pressure on you, but if you don't make it through, we'll be stuck here forever." Pope flashed an awkward smile at the brunette.

He sighed, leaning back in his seat as he gripped the steering wheel even tighter, the Twinkie continuing to fly down the thick deep puddle.

It felt like a fever dream as they had safely made it to the other side, the group loudly cheering as they banged on their seats.

"I told you we'd make it." John B winked at Pope, brushing his strands out of his face.

JJ flashed his set of pearly whites as he stroked the inside detailing of the old car, "that's my girl."

"Angel Oak is right through here." Aria directed them as they made sharp right turns through the wooded area.

"All right, so word to the wise, definitely know that gators nest back here, so keep your eyes peeled, okay? You don't wanna step on a mama gator. That's the last thing you want." JJ warned the Pogues, a hesitated look on his face as he reclined back into his seat.

Aria furrowed her brows, "they have nests?"

John B parked the car near an open body of water, the changes of gators swimming around being extremely high, the friends cringed at his chosen spot.

"Seems like a good parking spot." Sarah snickered, shaking her head as she scoffed at the boys foolishness.

JJ slid the doors open, peeking his head out as he cautiously exited the van, "all right. You don't wanna be Pat Womack. She had her calf chewed off by a gator, right? You know that, right?"

Aria helped herself out of the vehicle, nearly shoving JJ as she brushed passed him, "that's actually not true. Pat Womack was injured in a car accident, but I hear you."

"Okay, just live your whole life in ignorance." JJ raised his hands in defense, jogging to catch up with the dark haired girl, "but like, she had her calf chewed off by a mama gator, I know that for a fact."

Aria parted her lips to protest with him, her lips quickly forming into a line as he came to a halt, making splashing sounds as he glared at the dark waters.

"Wait, hold on. I see something."

She pulled him up by the back of his jacket, making him trip over his feet as he regained his balance.

"What are you doing? Wake them up, that's smart." She grumbled, narrowing her eyes at him as she held a fistful of his coat.

"I was just making sure it wasn't a gator. That's all, all right?" JJ snapped back, her hand releasing his item of clothing as he readjusted the collar of it.

As the group headed the site, loud machines rung in their eyes, their eyes widening as they saw the crew working to dig up the bottom of the tree.

Aria's stomach sank as she laid eyes upon the astonishing piece of nature, tears pricking her eyes.

The memory of her small self, wrapped up in her fathers arms as he dances around the tree, laughter blaring through the air as she was in awe of the man she was lucky enough to call her father.

Now, that was a distant memory in the back of her mind. The only memory flashing through her head was the explosion, flames, screams, gasps, everything.

She backed away, cupping her hand over her mouth as she departed from the group, choking on her sob.

hi baes!
i hope you're all doing well.
i missed you :)