I. fourteen

┍━━━━━━━━━━━╝✤╚━━━━━━━━━━━┑

━━━━━━━ ✤ ━━━━━━━

Eunbyul stormed out of Myunghee's office with the curly-haired woman shouting obscenities to her back. She didn't care for Myunghee's rage and kept walking past the alarmed law firm's staff in the hallway, to round the corner into another stretch of corridor.

"Wait." Someone reached out and held her still with their fingers wrapped around her wrist.

"Yah!"

Eunbyul furrowed her brow as she looked down at the large hand that stopped her from going into Chayoung's office.

Her eyes shot upward with the turn of her head and realized it was only Junwoo. The annoyance bubbling inside didn't quite reach the tip of her tongue as it soon dissipated.

"What's going on?" He asked.

She took her other hand and pried his hand away with it, taking a step back from his towering stature, and let out the bit of her pent up frustration with a low exhale, "Aish, those assholes..."

Her gaze dropped to the wristwatch on her hand. She fixed the piece a bit lower to where it didn't feel tight, and tried more calmly. "They found out that I tried to cover up for Yu Minchul, instead of going after and getting rid of him like they wanted. So Mr. Han went ahead and kicked me out of all Babel Group cases—"

"What?" Junwoo blinked, seeming to be personally offended and she sighed at the confusion quickly gathered between his brow. "But you were right!"

His outburst made for a few turns of people's heads in their direction. "Eunbyul-ah, you did good in going to the police—"

Eunbyul let him go on as she simply took him gently by the arm and led them into the privacy of Chayong's empty office.

"That researcher turned out to be a criminal after all!" He exclaimed as she pushed him inside first. Then turned to close the door behind them, before she finally met his gaze again. "Didn't you hear the news this morning about the explosion?"

Junwoo didn't give her time to reply to the question as he moved closer and explained, "Yu Minchul is the prime suspect for the deaths of 14 of Babel's researchers."

"I know," she nodded, "I stopped by the villa to see for myself; it's why I got here this late."

Stepping aside from where he stood, almost having her pinned against the door's frame, Eunbyul took in a free breath and walked over to the right wall of file cabinets.

"And don't be fooled, Junwoo," she spoke to him while digging through the alphabetized folders, "that explosion was more than just a cruel attempt to get revenge."

The guilt twisted her nerves taut but she ignored the phantom pressure against her chest and searched for her things.

The RDU-90 drug studies, the Coisanic narcotic disclosure, the research presented by Yu Minchul, and the most crucial piece of information—the true autopsy reports from the deaths of the two participants, those of whom Babel Group used as lab rats to test the effects of their disguised opioid.