⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 𝒊𝒗. 𝐬𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐚 𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐝

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫
━━ 𝒔𝒖𝒄𝒉 𝒂 𝒏𝒆𝒓𝒅

     Realizing that her friends had already walked out of the classroom, she exited the building alongisde Edmund, both unsure of how to continue their conversation. They had so much to say but so little courage to put their thoughts into words that they simply walked next to each other, their bodies nearly touching. Both, however, could not erase the big smiles from their faces. They had dreamt of this moment so much that it even seemed surreal.

     "Good afternoon, beautiful," Thomas greeted the girl with a quick peck on the lips once they got closer.

     "Good afternoon, handsome. Thomas, this is Edmund, a long time... friend," she hesitated for a milisecond, "and Edmund this is Thomas, my boyfriend."

     "How are you doing, man?" Thomas shook Edmund's hand, throwing him one of his charming smiles; Edmund imitating his gesture. Looking between both of them, Reagan realised how similar both boys were. Thomas was just a bit shorter than Edmund but they both had an extremely dark hair and brown eyes that seem as if they could see right through you.

     "Is it okay if I go with Edmund for a cup of tea?" Reagan asked, earning an immediate nod from the shorter boy. "See you later for dinner, okay?," she smiled, leaving yet another quick kiss in Thomas's face and then leaving with Edmund by her side.

     Both teens walked to the nearest coffee house, which was not too crowded and where they would be able to talk without many interruptions. They were able to get a table at a corner of the establishment, far from the door and the chilly September wind that entered the room everytime someone opened the it. They ordered and simply sat there, looking at each, unsure of how to start the conversation.

     "And... how have you been?"

     "Great, thanks," the girl smiled, "and you?"

      "Great too, thank you."

      Five more minutes passed without another word, both stirring their teas and looking anywhere but at the other's eyes.

     "Okay," Edmund sighed, "we are both thinking the same, right?"

     "That we wished we could be in Narnia right now because everything seemed easier? Yes."

     "Have you been able to return?" the boy looked directly at her.

     "No, Aslan said we couldn't," she replied with a sad smile on her face, suddenly her mind full of memories about horserides and dancing trees. "You haven't either, right?"

     "No but Eustace has. And his friend Jill," he explained, Reagan's face immediately lighting up in hope, "but neither of them has seen Aslan. They say Narnia is doing good. Apparently, not so good as it was when we or you and Caspian ruled but it is not too bad. Narnia has surely seen worst times."

     "Well, I cannot say I am surprised," the girl smiled, "Aslan always appeared when it was least expected. And what about Peter, Susan and Lucy?"

     "Susan is still working in America, acting as if nothing had ever happened." Reagan could see Edmund's smile falter for an instant, but he shook his head and continued speaking, "Peter comes visiting often. And Lucy has just started college actually."

     "I hope you are not lying to me because I am about to run out of here and go looking for her," the girl nearly yelled from excitement. "I don't think you could even begin to imagine how much I missed you. And Lucy and Peter and Susan and Caspian. Oh, God, even Eustace."

     "I missed you as well," he looked directly into her eyes, recognizing even the last speck of light on them, "and I know that Lucy and Eustace have as well. For the first months, they told our uncle about everything you and Caspian had done for Narnia. Peter has asked me about you a couple of times too."

     "Your uncle?"

     Edmund nodded before speaking, "Professor Diggory Kirke."

     "There is no chance," she concluded, "you are funner than I remembered."

     "I am not joking."

     "Professor Diggory Kirke as in he who witnessed the creation of Narnia at the very beginning of times?"

     "I can't believe you memorised that line from a Narnian textbook," the boy chuckled softly at the tenderness of the girl. "You are such a nerd."

     "Oh, excuse me Mr Edmund Pevensie, I forgot you are naturally smart and do not need to study," Reagan joked in the same way. "I had a lot of time on my hands during the voyage of the Dawn Treader. In any case, I need to see Lucy so you might as well finish your tea or I will leave you here."

     Edmund simply let out a soft laugh and, after paying for both of their teas (which cost him a fight with the now-darker-haired girl), they directed themselves to their appartment, which they had rented near the university. As they approached, Reagan's palms began to sweat from pure excitement about the idea of seeing who once was her best friend again.