⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 𝒙𝒊𝒗. 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧
━━ 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔

     Since Thomas had accidentally read Reagan's confession, their relationship had obviously gotten worse. Reagan was so embarrassed and felt so guilty that he could barely look the boy in the eye and Thomas felt so hurt that he knew not how to react. Thomas really did like Reagan, he could have even said he was in love with her; yet, he knew that Edmund and Reagan had a long history and he could do nothing against it.

     On the other hand, Edmund and Reagan had not spoken to each other since the moment they had shared days ago. Well, better said: Reagan had avoided Edmund at all costs. It hurt them both but worse was the incertitude of not knowing what would happen if they were ever alone again. Reagan had found solace in Lucy, who had become her greatest confident in the whole matter, purely because she was the only one who knew their story to the full extent.

     Unsurprisingly, the girl already seemed to know about what had happened between the two ex-lovers and gave Reagan the greatest advice she herself had ever received, from none other than Aslan himself: sometimes, the heart knows better than the head. 

     At the moment, Reagan sat besides Linda, trying her hardest to concentrate on what her professor was saying about Edmund Burke's writing. Her mind, nonetheless, could not be further from the writer. In fact, it was placed three rows behind her, fix on a head of black hair and a freckle-speckled face. Both of them were dancing under the moonlight, dryads and fairies spectators of their smittenness. The girl delighted on seeing Edmund laugh, showing his white teeth at the time that he looked at the sky.

     "Are you feeling alright?" the blonde's voice took her out of her fantasy.

     "Quite alright in fact," she clarified, sitting straight on her chair, "I am just finding it a bit difficult to concentrate."

     "Edmund Burke can be straining, yes," she agreed. "But we have only twenty more minutes and then we will be free for the weekend."

    Although Reagan tried to put on a smile, she dreaded the weekend to come. It was her birthday that Saturday and, as such, she had planned for a little gathering with all her friends. Thomas and Edmund were, of course, more than invited and Reagan was unsure as to how the events would unfold after what had taken place that week. She would not wish for any of her other friends to feel uncomfortable if anything happened between the two boys.

     Finally, the class ended just when Reagan had managed to concentrate on what the 'sublime' meant and how it could be applied to literature. She picked up her things and waited impatiently for her friend to finish, so both of them could leave. Notwithstanding, the boy she so much wished but feared to see was quicker and approached her as soon as the class was dismissed.

     "Re, please talk to me," he pleaded, putting his hand on the girl's forearm. "It's been days, what is the matter?"

     "Edmund, not here," Reagan answered in the same tone, in fear of what others may think of her if the reason why the two of them, apparently so close, were not speaking came to light.

     "Come with me then."

    He took her by the hand and, wishing Linda well, walked with her out of the class and towards an unpopulated hallway.

     "What it is, Edmund?"

     "What do you mean 'what is it'?" Edmund asked unbelievably. "You have ignored me for weeks, ever since we... nearly kiss in your kitchen. Please, I cannot stand this."

     "Edmund, don't do this. I just... no, this cannot happen."

     "You are acting like we did anything. Come on, did something happen afterwards?"

     "I fought with Thomas afterwards, because... because he is not stupid and he knows something has been up. And I cannot afford to lose him because... well, because he is a nice boy who cares for me and whom I care for."

     "But do you love him?" he asked, looking directly into Reagan's eyes. The girl, taken aback by the surprised, remained quiet. "That should give you your answer. But if you wish to keep lying to yourself, then so be it, Re."

      Edmund left her there, alone in the hallway. He did not turn around to look at her a second time. Yet again, neither did Reagan. Instead, the girl remained there for some minutes, pondering about what had just happened between her and the boy that inhabited her thoughts most of her waking (and even sleeping) time.