Epilogue (4): I Chose You

Epilogue (4):
I Chose You

Conner's chest burned as he slid against the hard light. Toxic whelps of electricity danced around the gaping slash in his chest. He grit his teeth as he looked down at the shreds of what used to be a symbol of hope dangling from his shirt.

The pain--though agonizing--could not compare to the pain in his chest. To the state he'd been in since the day he lost Vosh. Since Vosh was taken from him. He bit his lip to stop a tremble as he thought of all of the lost time. Time that he and Vosh could have spent together if he wasn't so stubborn.

He clenched his jaw as he thought of all of the time they'd miss. The time he'd never have to apologize. Not just to Vosh, but to their children. To Aesir and the child that would follow. He balled his fist as the laughter of the great thief trembled the emerald path beneath his feet.

He lifted his hardened gaze. His eyes blazing with the crimson heat of lasers. He pierced the shadows with his powerful eyes, and listened to them screech. All the while, searching. Ready to kill the being hiding from the light.

Magenta light flickered over his head in the darkness. He felt the path of light shudder as the luminous body of his son--Aesir--slammed onto the bridge. His fist--emboldened with cerulean light brighter than any star could hope to be--exploded with power.

A spark of purplish-blue energy exploded from his fist. The energies shot into the air and formed a giant force field. A blare of omega energy crackled against the shield which sent the energy into the black skies.

Conner glanced at him. Stricken, for but a second, at how much he reminded him of Vosh. The very best of him, that was. Aesir was the first to champion for the greater good despite what it cost him. The time loop was proof of that. He was so proud of Aesir, so much more than he could ever put in words.

After the way he treated his son, he knew Aesir wouldn't care to hear it from him anyway. The same way he didn't care to hear from Clark after. Not until they made it out on the other side. Something that wasn't promised this time around.

Aesir looked over his shoulder. He met eyes with his father--and quickly turned away. He grimaced as Barbatos' corrupted energies batted his force field.

Conner turned just in time to watch the shadows fold outwards. A path formed for Barbatos to step through. His cloak guarded most of his face. Yet a defiant sliver of light illuminated his grey grin. His wings draped at his ankles like a coat. Shadows pooled at their ends. The chain on his hip clanked as he moved. The skeleton of a dead bat was centered in his chest.

His eyes fell on the chain in the demon's claws. Barbatos yanked the chain. He threw a line of prisoners down between them. Wally, Fate, Flash, Behrad, his mother, and...

"Vosh?" Conner's voice trembled in disbelief. His eyes lost their volatile glow, and instead dimmed to the hues that Vosh fell in love with. Tears stung in his eyes as he locked eyes with his lost love from the other side of the force field. His body dirty, scarred, and exposed.

Barbatos smirked. "What's the matter, Conner, have you never heard of a contingency? I had to keep the mortal prison just in case Supernova disobeyed me."

Conner couldn't speak a word. Horrified, he could only look into Vosh's eyes. There, he saw a reflection of his worst fears. In seeing those fears, he knew he had no choice but to face them. If he had any hope at getting his future back.