Ain't That A Kick In The Head

12
Ain't That A Kick In The Head

"-Something has to be done about them. These...These metahumans put on costumes and they fly in and destroy our cities, then run away and leave us normal people to clean up their dirty work!"

"Had our first responders been able to address the catastrophe that occurred last week, a more fiscally sound solution would have been formed. Yet, these wannabe heroes swooped in and attacked without adequate understanding of the threat they faced..."

"... Now it's on us taxpayers to repair the billions in damage they've caused this city! This isn't the first time this group of heroes has destroyed personal property, or hurt innocent people in the process."

"They've targeted mental institutions, diners, coffee shops, carnivals, even research facilities! They've gotten off Scott free each time. Not one of these metahumans have been called to face any kind of punishment for their crimes."

"Our president, our lawmakers, our entire legislature is afraid to call these things out. I, G. Gordon Godfrey, am not. I openly oppose all acts of so-called heroism. These cosplayers aren't heroes, they're vigilantes. They're a nuisance. Which is why I pledge, that when I'm in office, there will be laws to reg-"

Wade reached over Rose's shoulder and grabbed the remote. He shut the tv off. "That redhead fucker is insufferable. People died and he seems more pissed about property damage than loss of life." He hissed. "Capitalism is death."

Wade paced back and forth. He lifted his cellphone to his ear and dialed Hazel for the tenth time in the hour. Her phone went straight to voicemail.

He sighed and dropped his hand. "Fuck." He whispered before lifting the phone again.

"Hazel this is my ninth voicemail," He began. "Look, I've been calling you all day. I don't know if your phone is dead or you lost it, but I'm starting to get worried." He sighed again. "Please pick up, or find a way to get in touch with me. You know, for my kid's sake and my sanity." He added before ending the voicemail.

Rose shook her head. She popped a Cheeto into her mouth. "Ironic isn't it?" She asked.

"What?" He returned, leaving shuffle marks on the floor.

"You never used to answer the phone, now nobody's answering the phone for you." She answered. She chuckled softly.

Wade narrowed his eyes. "You bitch," He hissed. "That's not-I'm a concerned parent."

"You're not concerned, Hazel and Tulip have been living it up on their cross country trip. You're jealous some chick answered Jason's phone and you can't take it." She said.

Wade stopped pacing. He fixed a glare on Rose. In that moment he found it nearly impossible to keep the weapon within him at bay. 6 months of training could fall out the window when it came to Rose's never ending snark.

Wade hated people. Especially her. He wasn't sure if it was because she called him on his shit or she had his sister's name.

"I am not jealous. I don't get jealous. If Jason wants to run around and get some stank on it, power to him. We aren't dating, or anything. I don't care." He seethed. Of course that's what gave him away.

Rose rolled her eyes. "Yeah, right." She said.

"I'm serious, this isn't about Jason. Neither of my sisters are answering the phone and I haven't spoken to my daughter in two days. This isn't normal."