Loop's End

29
Loop's End

"Come back to me," Conner whispered. His voice trembled like footsteps over shattered glass. "Please come back to me. I chose you, you have to come back to me."

His ultraviolet eyes fluttered open. The sunlight blinded him. He shielded his eyes and blinked to adjust.

Birds chirped happily and bounced from tree to tree. The melodies they sang bubbled in his bones. He didn't feel a thing beyond happiness. It felt like coming home.

Vosh knew where he was. The power that flowed around him was unmistakable. He looked down at the lively grass underneath his feet. Flowers bloomed under his gaze.

His hands were planted firmly beside him on a park bench. He turned his head. His purple eyes glistened as they landed on his father.

"Why now?" Vosh asked.

"Because it's time." His father answered. "Time we talked about what you've done."

"What I've done? What about you? You took my powers away, you.. you abandoned me when I needed you the most!" Vosh barked. He jabbed an accusatory finger at The Source.

His father chuckled. The body of flickering golden light turned away from his child. His vibrant eyes rested on the multiverse behind the wall. "You destroyed Mobius and ended his crisis. Created this beautiful new multiverse, created life. You made me proud then."

"Until you became so mortal," He sneered. If he had lips, Vosh would imagine them to be curled in disgust. "You blame me for the mess you've created, like mortals do. I will accept that blame, of course, as that's what creators do." Tsked the Source.

"I've accepted the burden for my wayward child before. However, the only way you'll learn is if I allow you to clean up your own mess."

"Stop speaking in riddles, I don't have time. I have to get back to.."

"Your Titans? Believe me, Child, those humans are the least of your concerns right now. In fact, those mortals got you into this mess."

"Do I have to remind you that not too long ago, humans saved you?" He sucked his teeth and turned away.

"Mortals did not save me, Child, you did. That's why you were created, to save me and one day take my place as the source of all life. Yet you insist on wasting our time and power with mortals. Now the lives that you've created will be the ones saving you."

"What?" Vosh asked. He looked at his father again.

"I was like you once, I created many children in my image, sculpted them from stars, much to my firstborn's disappointment."

"I guess you didn't need me to save your ass anymore so you decided to leech onto one of your billions of other children?" Vosh fumed.

"Oh on the contrary, Supernova. I have many other children but there is only one other like you. You are a piece of me. And now that piece of you is missing." The Source said.

The Source's words gripped Vosh's spine. Vosh shuddered. His hands curled around his stomach. For the life of him, he couldn't remember why he felt so hollow.

"Don't pretend you didn't know, Supernova. Didn't you feel the change after the night you shared with your precious Conner in your downtime from Oa? You always said you wanted to bridge the gap between Gods and Mortals."