Save Myself

03
Save Myself

Vosh's purple eyes narrowed at Jericho. The man, presumed dead but now very much alive, had one hell of a poker face. Vosh hummed. He looked at his cards, then back to Jericho.

"Do you have a three?" He asked.

Jericho smirked. "Go. Fish," He said with pride.

Vosh groaned. He flushed his cards in the deck. "This game is stupid, it's pointless." He said, signing at Jericho with annoyance.

"It's only stupid because you lost." Jericho said. "What do you want to do now?" He asked.

"Can you give me my powers back?" Vosh asked.

"No, but I can recommend an album that'll make you feel powerful."

Vosh shrugged. "Nah, that won't work. I need actual powers." He leaned down and rubbed Krypto's head. "Right buddy?" He asked the dog.

"Hey, have you guys seen Cal?" Asked Gar, breathless as he entered the dining hall.

"No, why?" Asked Vosh.

"We were supposed to get fro-yo but he vanished into thin air. I hoped he came out here to play kid games with you guys, but I guess he left."

"Kids games?" Jericho asked.

"Last I saw, he was helping Alister with something in the lab." Said Rachel from the counter. She ate dry cereal and watched the boys flop at Go Fish.

"There's a lab?" Asked Gar, mouth gaping. "I swear this place gets bigger every three seconds." He said.

"What did you expect from a building owned by Bruce Wayne? Come on, I'll show you where it is." Rachel said. She slid off of the counter and motioned for Gar to follow.

In the lab, Alister and Hank stared at the half-completed contraption left by the Hawks. Loose screws, and micro tools were sprawled across the table.

"Pay attention to the runes," Alister said. "Do you see them? They're ancient but unlike any I've ever come across."

"You think they're some kind of guide?"

"I have no idea. I've been reading all of Carter and Sheyara's notes but I can't find anything on them. Couldn't even find them online."

"You sure you couldn't have found a better person to help? I'm not the handiest guy..." Hank trailed.

"Trust me, I know. Rachel has been complaining about the 'crap job' you did on her bathroom sink for weeks." Said Alister with air quotes.

He leaned over the table. "But, you're all I have for the time being. We should look into recruiting a mechanic." He said.

An image flashed in his mind. He couldn't quite make out what it was. It was gone before he could blink. He shrugged.

"Even if we did, I don't think they'd know what to do here. We still don't even know what this thing is for, really. Carter didn't leave any instructions behind?"

"Perhaps he forgot to do that before he was murdered?" Alister quipped. Hank elbowed him in response.

"What would I do without you and your fucked up sense of humor?" Asked Hank. He picked up a screwdriver and narrowed his eyes on the tool.