Rare Birds

22
Rare Birds

Thanagar

Alister clenched his hands down on Kanto's forearm. He flipped the man over his shoulders and slammed him down on the ground. The marble floor cracked beneath him. Alister twisted Kanto's arm and flicked the blade across the room.

Kanto delivered a crunching kick to Alister's jaw. Alister fell backwards. He rolled onto his feet, recovery quick. His mace shot out of his palm, his wings following in suit.

"Where have you taken me Kanto?" He demanded. He glanced at his surroundings. His narrowed eyes loosened in confusion.

They stood in a ruined temple. The marble roof had collapsed in on itself. The golden shrine on a platform shook his resolve. He remembered seeing a picture like this in a book his mother read to him as a child. She told him it was a place of worship.

"Didn't I tell you I would kill you where you began? First thing's first, Nth Flyer, there's someone you have to meet." He said.

Alister lurched forward with his mace cocked back. Halfway to his target, he felt an explosion in his mind. He cried out in pain and fell on his stomach. The psychic blast knocked him unconscious.

A pale, hooded figure emerged from the shadows of the condemned Thanagarian church. His bloodshot eyes landed on Alister. He smirked and rubbed his hands together.

"Finally, we have our rare bird to dissect." He said.

"And quickly, I might add. He has to be terminated before Lord Darkseid requests an update on the Earth initiative. That leaves us a little over a day to unlock his potential, DeSaad." Said Kanto as he collected his blade from the ground.

"A shame our Lord ordered its termination. It's quite a rare bird indeed, unlike any of the lower life forms of this forsaken world." DeSaad stated as he began to delve into Alister's psyche.

Alister groaned weakly. He stirred as DeSaad picked away at his most intimate memories.

"The further I dissect," DeSaad began, "The more I learn about his connection with this Dick Grayson. It's clear he is the key to breaking the Thanagarian to the point of complete evolution."

"It's been hours and you've learned nothing thus far! You have yet to prove your theory about him, DeSaad and the time to answer our Lord draws near. I will not fail him for your baseless delusions." Kanto hissed. He clutched his blade and took a step towards Alister.

"Need I remind you who I am Kanto? I am DeSaad the God of Torture with millenniums of experience under my belt. Torture is an art, I'm sure you could appreciate art. As you consider assassination to be a form of it." He said raising a brow.

Kanto seethed. He sheathed his blade and huffed. "Fine. You have five more hours, then, I will kill the Thanagarian. Whether you prove your theory or not." He warned.

"He holds something inside, Kanto, a connection to Fatherbox and Motherbox. It's buried beneath within him, I must break him to free it. If you would have killed his lover, this would've been much easier." DeSaad said as he dug further into Alister's mind.