In Another Lifetime

06
In Another Lifetime

"—You know what he is, Sheyara. You know why they'll come for him. We cannot harbor him here." Carter's hushed voice carried across the hall.

"He is a child. A child with no home, no family, nothing. He escaped Hro Talak's cruelty and came to Earth as a last resort. We're all he has."

"I have already taken Hro's wife, if he discovers I've taken his son as well he will declare war on Earth." Said Carter.

"Didn't you listen to what Alister said, Carter? His father is dead. Thanagar has fallen to the Gordanians. I'm not sure there's anyone left to fight that war." Sheyara argued. She put her hand on his chest.

"He needs us," She reaffirmed. "One day, when he discovers what he truly is, he'll need us." Sheyara turned and peeped into the guest room. Her eyes fell on the frail boy sleeping in bed. His crumpled wings rising and falling with every breath he took.

A fiery bolt of lightning streaked through Alister's mind and brought him to a different day. Years after he landed on Earth. Carter and Sheyara stood before their Absorbascon.

"Should we tell him?" Sheyara asked.

"Of course we should. We've kept this from him long enough."

"He won't like it, that we've lied about this. When he discovers who he really is, it will change him. He still believes Thanagar is in ruin,"

"That's not why you're really worried, are you?" Carter asked.

"I think he's going to hate me," She said. She turned to Carter with tears in her eyes. "When he finds out his mother is still alive and I knew about it, he will hate me."

"He won't hate you." Carter said. "He'll understand."

Another jolt of electricity thrusted him years ahead. Around the time he'd began to lose faith in the Titans. Sheyara had just ended a phone call with her surrogate son.

They were in an abandoned air hangar. A broken and bent ship sprawled across the ground. Carter knelt beside one of the parts. He tried to attach an apparatus to the engine.

"We should tell him what we're doing," She said to Carter.

"We decided years ago to keep him out of this." Carter said. He clicked a piece into place.

"He's lost, Carter. Maybe we should send Wally to get him again. I think he'll listen this time." She suggested.

Carter snorted. "You know as well as I do, he'll never leave Dick Grayson behind. Those two are fated."

"I hate that," Said Sheyara. "By the time they realize what they mean to one another, it'll be too late. He's so unhappy there."

"Being here will only cause him more anguish. Even with the tools Bruce provided, it will take years to repair this ship."

"Not if we include him. Not if we teach him what's inside of him..." A flash took him elsewhere once more. To last year. Before they were murdered.

The Justice League stood over a disenfranchised Motherbox.

"What is it?" Asked Aquaman.