Vulnerable

25
Vulnerable

Gotham—Undisclosed Safe-house

Young Alister stood on his father's orders only to be kicked back down by his father's boot. He cried out and hunched over in pain. Fresh tears stung his eyes.

The general kicked the boy once more. "Go get the rope." Hro ordered Mila.

His mother hesitated. For that hesitation, Hro backhanded her. She cried out and fell to the floor. He approached Mila but Alister stood up.

"No!" The little boy yelled. He stood over his mother protectively.

Hro scoffed. "You are far too late to save anyone, yourself included. Though, you were always too weak to save to anyone. Tell me, have your mother's bones healed properly since her last beating?"

Liquid metal glossed Alister's hazel eyes . The pure Nth in his blood rose to the surface and formed an impenetrable shell over his skin. The child that stood in front of his mother grew into a strong man. A man out for blood. His wings grew even larger, the end feathers twinkled with golden light to contrast the silver.

Hro staggered backwards. "What are you?" He asked.

Alister saw something in his father's eyes. Something he never thought he'd see. Fear. An emotion he didn't even know his father was capable of possessing.

His wings swept him forward at a speed Hro could not compensate for. Before the disgraced general could blink, Alister buried his sword inside his chest. Even the hilt had made its way inside.

Hro looked Alister in the eye as the life left his. Blood spurted from his mouth. He coughed and choked on more of the blood that filled his lungs.

Alister twisted the sword and yanked it out of his father's chest. Blood spattered on the floor and stained his hands. He pushed his father's corpse to the floor.

A twisted chuckle echoed in his mind. Alister raised his eyes slowly. He gasped at what he discovered.

A hooded being with red eyes stared back at him. Large bat wings sprouted from the being's back. The skeleton of a bat rested in the center of its chest. It took one step towards Alister, the chains around it's hips clanked as it moved.

"Who are you?" Asked Alister.

"I am your creator, I am your savior, I am the bigger picture. Come to me, Child. I will show you what you truly are." His voice was low. It carried a darkness with it.

He reached for Alister. His sharp fingers twinkled with black bolts of electricity. Alister recoiled to the feeling in his stomach. The sword in Alister's hands was overcome with a lambent glow.

"I was there when you needed me most. Always by your side, shielding your skin. I saved you and I will save you again soon. Reach for me on the darkest night and I will aid you."

Alister couldn't decide whether to plunge the sword into the demon's chest or follow him. The sword made the decision easy. The light grew until it washed everything away. He heard the harrowing screech of the dying creature as his nightmare faded...