24

These are not Alexi's men. These are men who have obviously been watching the club and waiting for an opportunity to arise. I just gave them all of me, with my own stupidity. God knows how long they have been hanging at a distance watching the comings and goings in case they got a chance at picking me off. It's horrifying to imagine they may have been out here this whole time, waiting for a time like this.

I glance at him moving in and the man from the car is now behind me, blocking my path. Aware of both and my senses telling me how far away from actually touching me they are. More aware of the one behind me as it instils a higher fear factor, but my brain calms and the part that works well in a crisis moves in to formulate an exit strategy. Eyes doing a quick scan of every avenue around me. Adrenaline kicking in and I do what I do best. Lift my fucking feet and run like a bat out of hell crazy woman with no desire to die, to my right, down the alley I had come level with and put everything I have into moving like a whippet on cocaine.

Run bitch, RUN.

I'm a pro at sprinting in heels and tight dresses and I'm pretty swift in my departure. The shock of it makes them hesitate so I get a jump start of seconds. Enough time to turn left down an alley out of sight and then left again, down another space, until I get to a recessed door in the street. It's a total fluke manoeuvre, fuelled by extreme fear but it pays off. The door is set back enough and in the darkest of shadows where it is positioned. Close enough to jump into it before they catch me up. It's deep enough to press my entire body up against the chipping surface so that when one of them runs past they can't see me. Shielded in the frame of the opening as my hand scrambles behind me to try to get it open. Hand cupping rusty, rough metal as I get a grip on the handle and turn it frantically. It doesn't budge at all.

They will come back and check these little nooks when they realise, I couldn't have gone far. I'm blowing out air dramatically, panting and trying to keep my shit together. Chest burning with the sudden exertion, and breathless as I struggle to inhale air. My limbs are shaking badly, and my feet are on fire from running in heels.

I hear one shout to the other about doubling back; knowing he will come this way only sends me into a terror fuelled frenzy. I start frantically looking around for somewhere else to go. They are too close, and I'm too exposed. I have nothing to defend myself with and everything in me is shaking and stammering with dread and I need to get away.

I spy another door further up the alley, in a darker spot, and take my chance; abandoning my locked haven, I make a second run for it. Pushing myself off with speed, giving it my all, galloping as fast as I can without letting my heels hit the concrete in case they hear it, tiptoes all the way and press myself into that doorway as I had the first as I slam into it. I try the handle, yanking until it makes an odd crunching noise and much to my relief, it opens.

Thank you, God.

I throw myself inside, too hyped up to feel relief, right into the abandoned building as though jumping out of a fire-engulfed window. Desperation in every action and still struggling to breathe any valuable amounts of oxygen.

Dust, cobwebs and dirt clog my lungs as I inhale the musty damp air that clings to my face in the tumble-down interior, stifling a cough as I do so. I manage to wedge the warped door shut again as quietly as I can, pressing against it with my butt and pushing hard. I stand with my back to it, aware there are filthy windows nearby; although dirty and smeared they might still see me if I move out of the shadows. I just hold incredibly still, using my body's weight to make sure they think this one is locked too if they try it.

My phone vibrates again. Knowing it will be Alexi, my heart somersaults, a little ray of hope, and this time self-preservation kicks in above all else and I grab at it to answer. No hesitation whatsoever now I'm in danger that is not from him.