52

I'm standing staring at myself in the mirror, nerves eating away at me and fidgeting with my dress a little obsessively. It's long, fitted, ivory, and very classy. A sleek, full-length, fishtailed number that looks great on my body, with my toned-down neutral face and minimal jewellery. Stomach in knots and anally checking my appearance like my life depends on it. Despite knowing, I look flawless.

Déjà vu from the morning I met his mother and yet this is way worse. I'm terrified.

"You look gorgeous, stop fretting." Alexi's voice comes from behind me and he sways to the side of me as he approaches. I stop him mid-step and lean my body against him gently. Backing myself against him. This is something I have been working on for a while now. Letting Alexi get behind me, touch me when standing there and leaning against him. He doesn't object, just stands still recognising my attempt and lets me fall back against him gently.

It's stupid and weird, I guess, that it's such a hard thing to overcome, but he's been so gentle and understanding and never makes me uncomfortable. He strokes a finger down my exposed spine in my backless dress and kisses me on the back of the head, making sure not to wrap me up so I feel trapped even though I know it's dumb. He understands though and with the therapy sessions he talked me into, I'm doing better on so many levels when dealing with my past. We share a shrink, as odd as that sounds.

The inner anxiety and fear are getting less every time I let him stand behind me but I can still only handle this for seconds at a time and pull away as soon as that choking feeling rises in my throat, threatening to bring on a full panic attack. It's still a trigger, but one I will overcome for him one day, so he can stop watching how he approaches me in our daily life. I want to stand in his arms and curl up like normal people do.

"Why are you in here, anyway? What happened to not seeing me until I'm walking down the aisle?" I turn to him, chastising him teasingly without meaning it and smooth down his tuxedo lapel automatically, straightening his bow tie to admire the handsomeness that is my husband. About to be husband all over again in our little ceremony to solidify our four-month-long marriage.

"We're already married, London. I also don't believe in bad luck. Besides, I need you to sign this so we can get the ball rolling before we head off on our honeymoon." Alexi lifts the file he has in one hand and slides it onto the vanity beside me. The Carrero logo emblazoned on the cover and I squeal in excitement. Knowing exactly what this is as I've been on tenterhooks for days waiting on his lawyers to draw it up.

"Is that what I think it is?" I literally bounce as that fretting, nervous energy explodes into sheer happiness. Overcome with excitement that pushes all else away.

"Open it and see." He throws me that devilishly handsome smile, with full dimples and sparkling eyes that make me want to bone him so badly.

Sexy bugger.

He moves back and holds out a pen to me. A smile of utter bliss on that perfect face and I take it merrily. He moves aside to let me in and slides his hand on my arse as I bend over to scope out the paperwork.

Flicking open the file, I swear I dissolve into a pot of bubbly, warm contentment. It's the final contracts for my new business just like I hoped, and I can't contain the ecstatic squeal that bursts forth a second time. Alexi standing proudly watching me with utter amusement at my reaction.

Weeks of Alexi negotiating a price and taking over New York's finest finishing school for ladies of the rich persuasion. A place I will excel at moulding women who come into money and grandeur into classy ladies ready for social events and appearances.

The school is already thriving and well known among socialites and city celebrities, but the owner wanted to retire and leave her ship at the helm of a worthy captain. Alexi knew her well and convinced her over a very elegant dinner that I was that woman.