48

"Go up, I just need to make a call and take a minute." Alexi smacks my arse saucily as we walk in the front door of his house and sends me trotting across the floor in bare feet. He has my shoes in his hand after I discarded them in the car and tosses them onto the hall chair, watching me wriggle away suggestively towards the stairs. Smiling his way and winking at him because I can. He watches me with that sexy smile, eyes scanning my curves and making me feel like a goddess. All drama ebbing away and now I have my mind on more important things.

He didn't say much driving over here and he seems to be a little introverted after that ugliness. It's clear he did not want to talk about it, so I left it alone, knowing if he wants to talk it out then he won't be shy about it. I left him to brood, and I can tell he is trying to throw it off, so it doesn't follow us for the rest of our day. I can almost bet he needs a few minutes of headspace, to down something strong and breathe before following me. Self-medicating and putting himself back to rights. Since finding out that's the way he levels himself off instead of meds, I haven't cared about his booze intake at all. It's rare when he's doing fine, so not much of a problem in my eyes.

He promised me a conclusion to our desk fun so at least she didn't ruin his sexual appetite with her nonsense. I so badly needed that damn orgasm I have been chasing all day. I feel so uptight and antsy with all these false starts and the emotional shit that's gone down.

No babies—thank God.

First time meeting that witch—Oh, lord.

Her being a sanctimonious abusive arsehole—my poor baby.

His mother finally lost her power and control over him though, in a very anticlimactic way, nevertheless, it happened. Something in him shifted at that moment and I don't doubt she will tread carefully with him in the future, now she has seen hints of what he has always tried to shield her from. She has no clue how hard he has tried to only show her the side she would want and approve of. It's not how love works.

The love he had for her doesn't outshine the love he has for me, and she is no longer someone he needs to feel any kind of worth for. He has me, and she might realise that when it all calms down. He is his father's son and she must have known that one day, the time would come when her power over him died at his own hands because he holds so much more than she does. He could crush her effortlessly. Even though I know he wouldn't. She has no idea how lucky she is that he cares about her, even if it's a misplaced love she in no way deserves. Alexi could have made her life hell all these years, but he did the opposite and tried to be what she wanted in him, on paper anyway. He can stop pretending now; I love him, and she either accepts it or leaves him the hell alone. She'll have me to deal with should this shit continue, and I won't hold back.

"Don't be long, otherwise I'll put all my clothes back on and watch daytime TV. You snooze you lose, bad boy." I wink back at him, bringing humour to the atmosphere and willing him to be okay. I feel guilty now we aren't there anymore and have deep remorse for putting him in a position for that kind of outcome. As much as I hate her, he loves her. She's his mother, and what just happened is probably killing him inside now. Hiding it away as he does and shelving it for another time.

Sounds familiar.

Only difference is, I will not let him slide back into trying to appease her. I have more sway over him, and things will change where she is concerned. Enough is enough.

I disappear up the stairs with my head on executing my plan of the last few days. Now more than ever when he really needs a good way to relieve stress and a pick me up to how wretched he must be feeling. I hold the key to making it all better and I aim to pull out all the stops for him to ensure I do. I love him so much.