And People Say I Have Issues... They're Right

"I'm glad Heisenberg was able to pull you away from that man, Miss Moreau," Mother Miranda said as you walked up to the group.

"I'm very thankful for Lord Heisenberg's quick thinking, Mother Miranda," you said, bowing. "May I ask why you requested to see me?"

You stood with Mother Miranda and the four Lords in a circle. Lady Dimitrescu had her daughters standing around her, all three of them watching intently. Uncle Sal was standing to your left while Lord Heisenberg and Lady Beneviento were to your right. There was tension all around the circle but only Lady Dimitrescu and Mother Miranda were unaffected. You would catch the Dimitrescu Daughters giving you looks of pitty and Angie even stayed abnormally quiet. It was starting to scare you.

"Salvatore has convinced me that I should tell you my plan for after the feast tonight," Mother Miranda explained. "He said that you would need some time to process the situation." You nodded, a little nervous about what she was saying. "I plan on announcing your blood relation to the village later tonight."

You felt your stomach drop at Mother Miranda's words. While most would love the idea of getting the village's attention, you wanted nothing to do with it. You were perfectly happy with how things in the village were going. You were running a relatively successful business and the villagers that you have interacted with have respected you and you've respected them. If they knew about your relation to Uncle Sal, nothing would be the same. They would probably worship the ground you walked on or refuse to even let you pay for anything anymore. While the notion sounded luxurious, you weren't Lady Dimitrescu. The people of the village were already poor and you cared about that. They needed as much business as they could get just to survive and you weren't ready to let them starve. That kind of change was a nightmare but there wasn't anything you could do in the situation. Mother Miranda had you backed into a corner.

You bowed and tried to keep your voice from shaking. "Thank you for letting me know, Mother Miranda." Your voice was quiet but Mother Miranda heard you loud and clear.

"Wonderful," Mother Miranda said as she motioned for you to straighten up. "When is the feast?"

"The village typically takes their seats when the sun touches the mountains, Mother Miranda," you said, keeping your head high. Your demeanour wasn't reflecting how you felt at that moment at all, you wanted to just shrink back and hide in the Reservoir.

Mother Miranda looked to the horizon and nodded. "In about half an hour, then. That's enough meeting for tonight, go enjoy the rest of the festival."

"Yes, Mother Miranda," everyone said in unison as they dispersed. You followed your uncle for a little bit and he led you back to the graveyard. There was a bench nearby that you sat on and let out a large sigh.

"What am I going to do?" You groaned, leaning back.

"I'm sorry," your uncle said your name quietly and looked at the ground in shame. "I tried to get Mother to leave it be for another month but her mind was made up."

"Uncle Sal, I'm not upset with you," you reassured him. "I'm just a little overwhelmed..."

Uncle Sal took your hands, which were shaking, in his. "I understand... this is a huge change that you weren't ready for after being introduced to the others. You have a lot to think about in so little time."

"Yeah..." you trail off when you saw a small figure off to the side, hiding behind an open gate. "Alina, I thought your father taught you not to eavesdrop," you playfully scolded the girl.

"Come on over," Uncle Sal waved Alina over. "How much did you hear?"

Alina sheepishly walked up to both you and Uncle Sal and looked down. She fiddled with her dress nervously as she stuttered. "E-everything... I'm sorry, Lord Moreau..."