All This For a Tiny Bundle of Mold?

"Lorelei?" Karl called, running in the direction you went. "Sweetheart! Are you okay?" 

Karl looked around the yard, fear coursing through him as he spotted the roots as large as trees. He knew that meant Miranda was here. Karl shouted your name as he ran faster and looked harder, checking around every root until he spotted you in the thick of it. You were kneeling in the mud with something in your hands. You were cradling it close to your body with one hand as your other rummaged through your bag. Heisenberg knew Miranda displayed some serious power earlier and it scared you. Without a second thought, Karl ran up to you saying your name to get your attention. It wasn't until Karl got closer to you did he hear you softly singing your family's lullaby to the unmoving body of Ethan Winters.

"Hear my voice," you sang, your voice shaking. "Sing with the tide... my love will never die."

"I know, Lorelei," Karl said quietly, placing his hand on your shoulder. You jumped, pulled from the fear-induced trance you put yourself into. "Whatcha doing and how can I help?"

"S-she ripped out his heart," you told him, your voice shaking as you showed him the object in your hands. You were carefully holding Ethan's heart with bloody, shaky hands. "The Cadou... it told me to grab it. I need to put it back so he can stand up."

"Okay," Karl said, deciding not to question your explanation with the Cadou. Karl looked down at Ethan's face-down form and carefully grabbed him. "I'll flip him over, you put his heart back, okay?" You slowly nodded as you glanced between Ethan and his heart. "Hey," Karl said, turning your chin to face him as he let go of Ethan. "I know you're scared... I am too. But we need to help him, right?" Karl was answered by a small nod, partly satisfying him. "That's my girl," Karl hummed, pecking your lips. "Just put that baby back in its hole and Ethan's moldy body will do the rest."

"I should add medicine too," you said quietly. "It should help him faster."

"Then that's what you'll do," Karl said, grabbing Ethan once again. "I'm here, okay," Karl said your name as he carefully flipped Ethan onto his back. "I'll always be right at your side, forever and always."

"Thank you," you sighed, giving Karl a small smile before turning your attention back to Ethan. The hole in his chest was smaller and messier than what you were used to. With all of your experiments on Lycans, you surgically opened them up so it was clean and you could see exactly what you were doing. It was so odd seeing Ethan's chest cavity caved in just enough for a human's hand to fit through. Gulping, you carefully lowered Ethan's heart into that very hole. You had to retract your other hand from your bag to try and steady your grip and finally put it into its place. Karl praised you with a kiss and soft words as he reached around you and grabbed the medicine from your bag.

"I got the rest of this, okay?" Karl said, slowly pulling you away from Ethan. "Take some deep breaths to try and calm down."

"Yeah..." you said, standing up. "I'm just going to take a few steps back."

"Just... don't go too far, alright?" Karl said, a worried look in his eye. It made you chuckle, relaxing your shoulders.

"Aw, you really do care about me," you hummed, moving Karl's hat to kiss the top of his head. "I'll just go to that root over there. I'll be completely in your line of sight."

"And stay there," Karl smiled, waving you off. 

He popped the lid off of the first bottle of medicine as you walked over to the root, slowly pouring it over Ethan. You saw Ethan twitch and his face twist in pain, his eyes moving quickly under his eyelids. It looked like Ethan was having a nightmare. You had a few ideas of what he could be seeing, having experienced a lot of terror from Miranda before, but you couldn't be sure. All you could tell from Ethan's expressions was that it was bad.