I'm No Expert on Cult Leaders, but This Feels More Off Than Usual

You've never been late.

If there was one thing Salvatore could be sure about, it's that you were never late. You hated being late and made it known, always arriving at least five minutes before anything started. Salvatore had a sinking feeling in his gut when you didn't show for supper or when it was past the time for the monthly meeting to start. He knew you would never be late unless it was important but to just not show up was completely out of character. If it weren't for the fact that Salvatore needed to get to the meeting, he would have searched the village for you. 

But duty called and you never want to upset Miranda.

"Salvatore, there you are," Miranda exclaimed from the dais. "My dear child, what took you so long? We were worried." Based on everyone's bored expressions, no one was worried about him. Salvatore was used to it. He was always the runt of the litter with his affinity to the Cadou being so low. Salvatore has learned not to let it bug him as he stepped out of the cavern he usually used as a path. It wasn't lost on him the confused looks the other Lords gave him when no one followed him out.

Nor was the lack of reaction on Miranda's face.

"Where-" Heisenberg started but Salvatore wouldn't let him finish.

"I don't know, she's missing." Heisenberg shot out of his seat and turned to face Salvatore, hammer in hand. "She didn't show up for dinner and I wasn't concerned at first because that's happened before when she had a particularly rough night or when a Lycan attacked. But then she didn't show up at all. I have no idea where she could be or if she's alright or not."

"Then why didn't you go looking for her?" Heisenberg's voice was dangerously quiet, something Salvatore has never seen before. Salvatore's shock quickly turned to anger as Heisenberg accused him.

"You know just as much as I how important these meetings are," Salvatore hinted, getting Heisenberg to pause. "Besides," Salvatore hissed as he pushed past Heisenberg, "I have a request to make anyway." Salvatore looked up at Miranda and gave a small bow. "Mother Miranda, I would like to request to miss this meeting so I may search for my niece. I fear something horrible has happened to her and I want to be sure that she is safe."

"You can't just ask that of Mother Miranda," Alcina's voice snapped, grabbing Salvatore's attention. "You're needed here as a Lord."

"Then why haven't I've been acknowledged as a Lord here in fifty years?" Salvatore shot back. "I am barely given a second's glace when these meetings take place. You can live without me being here for the rest of your lives let alone one night." Salvatore couldn't help but take pride in how stunned Lady Dimritrescu looked when he said that. "Now if you'll excuse me, I believe I asked Mother Miranda a question. Not you."

Heisenberg was absolutely floored with how assertive Moreau was. He has never seen your uncle act like this, especially around Miranda. Moreau has always been soft-spoken and barely gave his opinion in the meetings, let alone lashed out at someone. Then there was the tone Moreau used with Heisenberg when he mentioned the importance of these meetings. Heisenberg thought he was imagining things because Moreau would never think ill of Mother Miranda. But then he remembered the conversation he listened in on yesterday thought the bug he had you place in Moreau's lab. Moreau sounded like he was about to tear the whole village apart for you. He also recalled when you were attacked in Castle Dimitrescu. Moreau was practically fuming when he learned about what Alcina did. Heisenberg was also a little concerned that Moreau would have attacked him when Heisenberg brought you to the Reservoir that day. Maybe there was hope for that fish after all.

"I would like to request to join him, Mother Miranda," Heisenberg said, walking next to Salvatore. "All of you know where I stand on things and," Heisenberg pointed to his nose, "I have the tracking skills of a hyper-aware Lycan. Besides, two sets of eyes are better than one."