Chapter 9

ASTRID was still amazed at herself when she was walking around the town square with Aaron hand in hand. She was feeling the bizarre feelings that were burning inside her as they were walking around, taking in the sight of the town. They were not talking to one another but apparently, that silence was broken when they were stepping into an antique bookstore as Aaron was holding the door for her.

"After you," he said as his emerald eyes were looking at Astrid in the way a predator would eye their prey. Astrid will not be satisfied that Aaron is her predator. She smiled as she walked past him, making sure that their shoulders touched.

"Thank you," she said as she was taking in the scene before her. There were books everywhere she looked as she was trying to make sure that she knew the escape route of the bookstore.

There were several, one of them was the way that they came in through the front door. The other was one on the back door for the personnel as well as the windows. But Astrid would not be making such an attempt for she was sure that Aaron did not know that she was deadly enough that she could take him out.

But that was her secret alone and she will not be sharing them with him.

"So, what kind of books that you like to read?" Aaron said as he took her hand again and navigated around the bookstore. There were some people, locals, and tourists alike, as they were making their way around them. Astrid smelled the rare collection of books surrounding her as Aaron pulled her toward one section of the shelves.

Folklore.

Astrid turned to look at him as he explained while they were in this section that all Astrid would love to read about was Vampire and Blue Blood. But Aaron Covaci did not know that about her for they hardly knew each other to know about their preference in literature.

"I used to love to read about the folklore that surrounds the majority of the European population and I especially love to read about Vlad the Impaler and how his story inspired the existence of the vampire," Aaron said before he pulled one of the books that were translated into Italian but Astrid knew what it was.

It was folklore about how the vampire was perceived in the modern world and what the impact of Vlad the Impaler toward world's history.

"Do you know him?" Aaron asked her as Astrid turned to look at him. She furrowed her eyebrows.

"Who?"

Aaron turned his green eyes on her as he closed the book that he was browsing with a thud. "Vlad. Vlad the Impaler of Romania," he said as Astrid was shaking her head, smiling at Aaron as well as tucking the strand of hair behind her ear.

"Don't be silly, you know everyone would know about his history and the derivation that his story will have the impact on the superstition of believing that Vampires are real," she said as Astrid looked around before she picked another book from the section.

"Perhaps I was more of the fairy tale girl, like everyone else. Not some of the gory details and folklore," she said as she was skimming through the book. Astrid did read the title and it translated to be the Red Riding Hood retelling.

Surely he would believe that right? She asked herself as Astrid was trying to portray the perfect vision of a woman that would engross with the fairy tale retelling.

"Hmm," Aaron replied before Astrid closed the book and turned to look at him. She smiled before she was looking at her watch.

"Oh, look! It's almost midnight. Surely you don't expect us to spend more time here? Would you like to go around the town with me, walking hand in hand?" she asked as Astrid was handing out her hand to entice the Pureblood to be with her and not interrogating her about her interests and profession.