Chapter 4- Pop Rocks

"I leave to Ms

"I leave to Ms. Avery Kylie Grambs and Ms. Lorelai Aerin Grambs to share." -Lawyer
TW // Rory has a panic attack in this chapter. (will place a divider at the start of the scene)

---

"Now that everyone is here let's begin." one of the four lawyers who stood in front of the table said. "You all are here to hear the last will of Tobias Tattersall Hawthorne. Letters will be handed to you that were written personally by Mr. Hawthorne, you may open them after the reading." he finished and people made a round around the table to hand the letters out.

I was surprised that I got one and I couldn't wait to open it in my room later. I still can't believe I'll be sleeping here tonight.

"Mr. Hawthorne stipulated that all of the following individuals must be physically present for the reading of this will: Skye Hawthorne, Zara Hawthorne-Calligaris, Nash Hawthorne, Grayson Hawthorne, Jameson Hawthorne, Alexander Hawthorne, Ms. Avery Kylie Grambs and Ms. Lorelai Aerin Grambs of New Castle, Connecticut." the man paused to sit down and arranged the papers he was holding, "Since you all have made it, let's begin."

"I, Tobias Tattersall Hawthorne," he read, "being of sound body and mind, decree that my worldly possessions, including all monetary and physical assets, be disposed of as follows."

"To Andrew and Lottie Laughlin, for years of loyal service, I bequeath a sum of one hundred thousand dollars apiece, with lifelong, rent-free tenancy granted in Wayback Cottage, located on the western border of my Texas estate." I saw an elderly couple lean into each other with a smile on their faces.

That was 100,000 dollars to two people, 100,000! The man continued with no interruption, "To John Oren, head of my security detail, who has saved my life more times and in more ways than I can count, I leave the contents of my toolbox, held currently in the offices of McNamara, Ortega, and Jones, as well as a sum of three hundred thousand dollars."

Shut the fuck up, this Tobias Hawthorne hands money out like it's fucking candy. I try to keep my face neutral and breathe properly, 5 seconds in, 5 seconds hold, and 5 seconds out. The infamous 555 rule. If my inheritance was 1 million dollars or something like that then I might just faint, literally.

"To my mother-in-law, Pearl O'Day, I leave an annuity of one hundred thousand dollars a year, plus a trust for medical expenses as set forth in the appendix. All jewelry belonging to my late wife, Alice O'Day Hawthorne, shall pass to her mother upon my death, to be distributed as she sees fit upon hers."

She was the old woman Libby was talking to then. She looked as if she would be Mr. Tobias Hawthorne's sister instead of mother-in-law.

The lawyer continued on by saying that Zara and Skye, Tobias' daughters, only inherited 50,000 dollars each. Which to me is a lot but to them it's probably worth as much as a penny.

The sisters fought with Zara blaming Skye for Mr. Hawthorne leaving everything to her sons. It wasn't Skye's fault she birthed four and her sister none. I breathed in through my nose beginning to get excited, praying, hoping that I'd be lucky enough to earn at least 50,000. I needed it.

"To my grandsons, Nash Hawthorne, Grayson Hawthorne, Jameson Hawthorne, and Alexander Hawthorne, I leave 250,000 a piece to be payable on their 25th birthdays." the lawyer paused, understanding the weight of his words. This billionaire just left his family basically nothing, even his head of security had more than his grandsons.

(FEEL FREE TO SKIP THIS SCENE)
<><><>
I did the math quickly in my head, the money mentioned so far didn't even add up to a billion. Everyone made a commotion, Grayson especially. He was supposed to be the heir apparent. I looked around the table to look for who possibly could be next. My eyes landed on my sister and I, shit. I began to breath wrong, hopefully Mr. Hawthorne left like 20 billion to his maid or hopefully his lawyers.

I gripped my moms ring and began to play with it, I tried to think of something else instead of the inheritance I was about to receive, but doing so was impossible. My hands shook too much that I soon lost grip of my ring.

Avery met my eyes and we both knew instantly that it didn't make sense. Nothing made sense, I couldn't hear anything anyone was saying except the lawyer. Blood pounded in my ears, I could hear my own heartbeat.

I attempted to do the 555 rule but it was no use. Just three days ago I was dreaming about attending an acting school and now here I am sitting with rich people who got basically nothing from their own family member.

I could feel my heart beating everywhere now, in my ears, my fingertips, my thighs, it was getting really hot. "The remainder of my estate," the lawyer started and everyone stared at my sister and I. It was getting too hot, I couldn't breath. Please say he's giving it to a random maid or a random maids family member. I begged the lawyer in my mind.

"Including all properties, monetary assets, and worldly possessions not otherwise specified, I leave to.." the lawyer paused and my breathing did as well. I. Couldn't. Breath. My throat was closing up as I gripped Avery's hand in hopes to alert her but she was in a world of her own. I attempted to calm down, I really did.

"I leave to Ms. Avery Kylie Grambs and Ms. Lorelai Aerin Grambs, to share." I let out a breath only to suck in absolutely no air. I was having a panic attack. I turned to my sister and tears pricked my eyes, "Avery, I can't— Ave—" I attempted to say but couldn't, fuck these shitty lungs. My lip quivered as I tried to get a few words out. I couldn't do it.

God dammit, everyone was staring while Avery attempted to calm me down, she was clearly unsuccessful. My body burned up like an oven and my heart was beating everywhere but my chest ten times harder, I could feel it in my head, I could feel it in my arms and legs. 

Avery and Libby both attempted to sooth me by stroking my hair and whispering words into my ears. I couldn't hear them. I couldn't hear anyone but from what I saw they were all speaking. Their mouths were opening but no words came out.

I let out a strange gurgling sound as I tried to breath. I could feel Avery and Libby taking deep breaths next to me in hopes that I'd do the same as well. But I couldn't, my mind kept returning to the 46 billion dollars I suddenly shared with my sister. It was too much all at once and I couldn't handle it. Fuck. These. Shitty. Lungs.
<><><>

I looked around the room and people began to smother me, I couldn't breath. I stood up abruptly only to be met with sudden dizziness as I stared at the gargoyles, my eyesight darkened and my hearing returned. The noise shocked me as the world around faded into black.

•••
some lines were taken from the book. credits to jennifer lynn barnes for it. anyways i added this bc my sister has panic attacks often and i wanted ppl to know what its like.