Chapter 24- Red Velvet Cookies

"Even just an inch?" -Lorelai Grambs

---

Avery and I were rushing back home. Libby had been contacted by Drake. He was here, in Texas. I took my phone out and called my sister. Ave was talking to Alisa. 

"Hello?" I asked, slightly panicked. The line cut, she ended the call without even saying anything. Avery and I sat with our phones clutched tightly, Alisa had ended their call now too. The car was silent but the sound of my thumbs typing messages could be heard. I was texting Libby and begging her not to give in.

My sister was the nicest and most understanding person I knew. She loved giving second chances and I prayed she would stay put and not go to Drake. Now I understood why Avery had ran away when she saw him back at our apartment a day before we were told about the inheritance. 

"Are you texting her?" I asked Avery who started typing too, "Mhm." she said, too distracted to speak. "She isn't replying to me, ask her if she's alone." I told Ave. 

"Nash is with your sister." Grayson informed, I nodded in understanding. "Can you drive any faster?" I asked Oren in worry. I didn't care about pleasantries right now, my sister needed to be safe. 

"If the gentleman so much as tries to lay a finger on her, I assure you my brother would take pleasure in removing that finger." Grayson tried to reassure us. Avery grew silent, our chests both heaving up and down. 

I didn't look at Grayson, but I stopped texting Libby in case she gets overwhelmed. 

Avery shared looks with me, "Drake isn't a gentleman." she stated harshly, "And I'm not just worried about him getting violent." her voice turned smaller. We both knew what she meant. 

Drake had a tendency of turning sweet when he wanted my sister to come back. Sometimes he'd even try his tricks on us, but we weren't as nice as Libby. Drake usually asked for forgiveness and painted himself as the bad guy in a way she would pity him. 

'Oh, I'm so sorry Libby I can't live without you' or 'I can't believe I did that. Please forgive me, you're all that I have'

Honestly it was all a load of bullshit but my sister believed him every time. I'm just hoping she won't believe him now. 

I rubbed my arm and winced when I pressed down on a bruise, it was a reminder I hadn't paid the 10k yet. I'll worry about that later.

---

We reached Hawthorne House and a crowd was in front of the gates. The reporters and photographers all focused on Drake.

Avery stepped out the car with Oren while I stayed inside. I can't be seen right now, my sex scandal was still fresh news. 

I could hear the crowd grow louder the closer my sister walked to the gates. My name was shouted a few times, along with Grayson's. I made eye contact with the blonde accountant before returning my attention to my sister. 

She said something, the crowd laughed. I noticed Drake fighting the cops a few feet behind her. I wanted to run out and hit him. I wanted to get out of this stupid car but I knew better. 

Avery's demeanor changed. She looked dead serious and something she said, stated, made the reporters give her all their attention. I wanted to know what was happening, "Can we roll down the window a bit so I can listen?" I asked Mike who sat at front. 

"I'd advise against that." he said. "Even just an inch?" I asked but he still said no. 

My twin started walking back to the car, she opened the door and Oren shielded the view of the paparazzi so Grayson and I couldn't be seen. Avery took my hand and squeezed it, I let her.

---

Avery ran into the house to find Libby, I ran with her too. We found my sister in the kitchen with cupcakes everywhere, hundreds of them, probably even thousands. I stopped and held onto the counter, panting. 

"Libby?" Avery approached our sister. Her blue hair was messily tied into a ponytail or maybe hair just escaped it. "Do you think I should go for red velvet or salted caramel next?" she asked, not looking up at Ave. 

I let go of the counter and walked over to her, "Hi, need some help?" I asked, making eye contact with Avery. She knew what I was trying to do. 

The both of us often helped her bake when she was like this, it was a way for her to get it out of her system and soon all three of us would have fun and she'd completely forget about what had happened. 

"No thanks, it's okay." she tried to say in a sweet way but I could hear a tremble in her voice. "She's been at it for hours." Nash informed us. At least she wasn't looking at her phone.

Libby glared at Nash, "Don't talk about me like I'm not here." she huffed. "Yes ma'am." Nash gave a cheeky grin. I frowned, why does he seem very lovey dovey. Maybe it was just me.

Grayson appeared in the kitchen, "You both run fast." he said then cleared his throat, his suit still perfectly pressed and his hair still gelled. He didn't sprint here, he walked. 

"Drake is gone." Avery said, ignoring Grayson. "Ave took care of it." I said proudly but kept my tone even. Libby tucked her hair behind her ears, "I'm supposed to be the one taking care of you guys, Rors. Not the other way around." she said, frowning. 

Avery tilted her head and sighed, "Stop looking at me like that, Avery. I'm not going to break." Libby scolded. "'Course not darlin'." Nash leaned against the fridge, "You.." Libby slammed her palms against the marble and glared at Nash, annoyance clearly on her face. "You shut up."

That threw me off, I have never heard Libby say shut up. But at least she wasn't forgiving Drake. 

"Shutting up now." Nash picked up a cupcake and bit into it. I noticed Grayson had disappeared, he wasn't anywhere in the kitchen anymore. "For what it's worth, I vote for red velvet next." he said, mid-chew. 

Libby resumed piping icing on a cupcake, "Salted caramel it is." she said.

***
im posting another chapter bc i got rid of writers block slay also i love reading comments