5. The Hotline Service

The days following Ethan Clarke's threat, I steered clear of his way. Actually, we steered clear of each other.

I was relieved that he chose to stay in Building X, the house out back, behind the main house.

Building X, as Sarah explained one morning was Mr Ethan's home, only invited members of the staff, which usually meant Diana and personal family or friends were allowed to enter.

I was glad for that. I had no wishes to enter Building X or be anywhere near its owner. Hell, I would be very comfortable not running into him forever, if I could even pull that off.

On the fourth day, since that displeasing run in with the son of the house, as soon as I finished my shift, I went to inform Mrs Clarke that I was running into town for an errand. The errand being my favor to Leah.

"You know how to get yourself around?" She asked as she bookmarked a page in the book she was reading.

I nodded. "Yes ma'am."

"You know your way around the city?"

"A little."

Her face scrunched up with worry. "Well, that just won't do, now will it?"

"What?"

"I'll get Ethan to drive you," she replied as she picked up the landline by her.

"No!" I screamed out hastily.

She arched a brow at me, looking quite shocked.

"I'm sorry for that. But it's perfectly alright. I can go by myself. I'll catch a cab over."

She smiled. "Nonsense, dearie. That boy could use some free time. He must be in X right now, reading up on one contracts he could be reading tomorrow, or drafting a new one for all I know. He needs time away from work and I guess driving you into town would help with that. Besides, if Sean hadn't already left for the day, I would've told him to drop you off."

"Its really fine for me to go by myself." Heck, I'd let a blind man drive me, as long as it wasn't that son.

"I'm sure he won't mind," she commented.

Oh he will. "Its perfectly alright. I'll call if I get lost."

She sighed then nodded. "Fine. But call if you need help. Anytime."

I nodded. "Promise."

I ran out of the library hastily before she decided to call her son and leave us both in an awkward situation.

* * *

I reached the building Leah had told me to go to with no hassle. She'd made sure to give me accurate and clear directions before.

The building looked like it was empty. Despite the glass being tinted, it had posters on it. 0800-I-NEED-HELP All calls are confidential and free. There was a picture of a girl crying, mascara running down her face as she held onto a phone.

Suddenly my phone rang with Leah's photo lighting up the screen.

"Hello," I said.

"Are you here at?" I hear her voice through the phone.

"Yes," I replied as I walk towards the only entrance I can make out.

"Come in then. What are you waiting for? The door's open."

"Okay. See you in a sec." I say before I hang up.

The door, as she's said, was unlocked and I walked into the building seconds later.