25. The Flour Covered Burglar

SONG : TROUBLE - EXO

•••|||•••

It took me two hours to pack up my things and clean my 'old' room the next day. Everything fit into one medium sized suitcase and my backpack and I stared at it for awhile once I was done.

I knew I was delaying the inevitable, but could you blame me? I would have given anything in exchange for not moving into Building X. I wouldn't even have complained if he decided to tell me to work for him for another month, as long as I didn't have to stay in the same house as him. Sleeping in my current room was at least a form of reprieve from Ethan Clarke.

I sighed as my eyes dawned on the clock that showed just how much time I was losing. If it wasn't for the fact that I had another shift at the hotline later today, I would've waited til the evening to move into Building X.

Besides, from what I've come to know of the Clarkes and their schedule, this was the ideal time to move into Building X if I ever hoped to not run into Ethan Clarke.

Every Sunday morning, they went to church and afterwards they always went out to the same restaurant to have lunch and they returned at three in the afternoon. And by three, if everything went according to plan, I would have moved into Building X by then and be at the hotline before returning later that night without the chance of running into Ethan Clarke at all.

I cast a glance at my phone where it lay on my bed, praying that by some miracle Leah had asked the restaurant and there was an open position for me there. When there was no sign of that miracle happening, I nodded silently to myself in resignation before I grabbed my bags and headed out.

Elizabeth was walking out of the kitchen as I walked past, holding a tray of baked goods. I smiled at her as she took in my luggage.

She smiled comfortingly at me, knowing just as everyone in the household that Ethan Clarke and I did not see eye to eye, and that moving into Building X was the last thing I wanted. "I heard that you'll be staying with Master Ethan."

I pursed my lips as I nodded. "Yeah. Let's hope he realizes he doesn't want to live in the same house as me and will be kicking me out before the day ends."

She chuckled lightly before, shaking her head as she raised the tray towards me. "How about you take something to give you a boost of energy?"

Without hesitation, I picked the chocolate lamington and a chocolate chip cookie. "Thanks. At least something good that comes out of this day."

Elizabeth shook her head with humor. "Master Ethan is a good man. Give him a chance and he might just show you how sweet he can be. I'm sure whatever misunderstanding the two of you have with one another wil be sorted in no time."

I pushed aside the thought of him offering me an ice-pack that day I shot him with the water-blaster or how we had actually had a conversation without yelling that night as I shook my head. "I don't think they'll be enough time for that," I replied cryptically, hoping that Leah would come through soon with the new job.

I looked at my watch minutes later as I stood outside Building X. It was already well past eleven which meant the Clarkes should already have been at church. I looked over to the garage and smiled triumphantly when I didn't see Ethan's Audi parked there.

Breathing out a sigh of relief, I opened the door with confidence and entered in with my luggage.

This time I didn't walk in with my figurative tail tucked between my legs. Knowing that the owner of the house wasn't there, I didn't care that my footsteps against the polished tiles echoed throughout the entire house, nor that my luggage made a loud thud against the floor.