38. Sloppy Joes at Building X

Ethan Clarke was avoiding me.

That was the only conclusion that seemed to make sense to me as I sat half reclined on the sofa.

My attention was split between the book that I had grabbed from the library earlier when I was cleaning it and the clock that seemed almost defective with how slow the second hand was ticking by.

He was avoiding me.

The entire day had passed by without a single sighting of him.

Any glimmer of hope I had of asking him whether he had taken me to my room had disappeared because by the time I had come downstairs, he had already left for the day.

The house was devoid of his presence, and like the day before, he hadn't left his usual note on the tasks I needed to do.

The last time I had seen him was Sunday night when he was drinking by the patio. And ever since then, I hadn't even seen his shadow.

He was going out of his way to avoid me.

The reason as to why, I couldn't quite pinpoint because it didn't make sense.

Was he avoiding me because of the looming fact that I might quit and take the position Julie had offered?

The other reason was the one that didn't make sense.

Was it because of the phone call that I had with Leah? But if it was, why did he care about the so-called date on Friday?

And the one that made the most sense, he was just avoiding me because he regretted having me living with him in the first place?

Whatever reason it might be, it only made sense that the only conclusion I could come to was that he was avoiding me.

I stared at the clock again.

It had only been five minutes since I last stared at it. It was already twenty-eight minutes past ten.

I sighed as I flipped the page of the book and tried to read what was etched on its pages despite not remembering what I had read in the past thirty or so minutes.

My attention was focused on other things.

Like the conclusion that I had come to earlier today.

That I would stay him for the remainder of the three months that we had agreed to earlier and that once that was done that I would accept Julie's offer.

Of course, I had called Julie earlier during the day to ask her if that would be possible.

"Of course, love," she had responded enthusiastically when I had asked earlier. "I totally understand. You have to .... tie up loose ends."

I nodded, smiling, happy that she understood. I had initially expected that she would say that she couldn't wait for three months for me.

It seemed only right that I give them notice instead of just upping and leaving without any warning.

Now, all that was left to do was to let Ethan know. Now, if I could only meet him face to face, of course.

It didn't seem right to just send him a text to tell him.

I tried not to laugh as I thought of what exactly I would type.

Hey, it's me, your maid.
Remember Sunday?
I'm quitting after three months.
Just a heads up.
Cheers
Ashleigh Bishop

That would go over marvelously.

I took a small sip of the wine that Julian had left me on Sunday. I had poured myself a glass because I needed the liquid courage before I could muster up the courage to speak to Ethan Clarke.