40. Breakfast with the Clarkes

The sun was slowly rising in the horizon. The different hues of yellow and orange blended together as they painted the morning horizon as the city of New York started to wake up and bustle with life and activity.

I sat in the car with the two bouquets of flowers, smiling as their aroma filled the car.

Ethan said he'd be back in five minutes, but it had already been fifteen minutes since he left and he was still nowhere in sight.

Suddenly the door opened and a rush of cold wind entered the car. Ethan appeared by the door before he lowered his head slightly and smiled at me. I couldn't help but smile back.

"Place the two bouquets in the back. You'll need free hands," he said.

I furrowed my brows at him, confused.

He chuckled. "I got breakfast."

I rolled my eyes at him. "You could've opened with that, y'know."

"My thought to words process doesn't work that well when I haven't had coffee."

"Happens to the best of us," I laughed as he handed me two takeaway cups that felt warm to the touch that I almost sunk into bliss.

I placed his cup on the cupholder in between us as he got into the car with a takeaway bag in hand. "It took longer than I expected. The place got popular since the last time I went."

He opened the bag with so much anticipation in his eyes. It was almost otherworldly to see Ethan Clarke with that expression. He resembled a child opening his presents on Christmas Day.

"I didn't know what you wanted, so I just got what I usually get." He handed me two items wrapped up in brown paper with the logo of a bagel on top.

"Thank you," I placed one on my lap as I opened the first. "For both the ride and this."

A smile involuntarily appeared as the heavenly scent of freshly baked bagel flooded my senses followed by the warm and delicious aroma of crispy bacon.

"You like it?"

I nodded, not even thinking as I took a bite. I almost sunk into my seat as the delicious taste of fresh bagel, bacon and fried eggs assaulted my taste buds.

"Glad you do," Ethan said as he also ate his bagel. "Rosa introduced me to the place a couple of years ago. They've gotten quite popular since then and there was a line out the door."

"Understandably. The bagel is delicious."

"Try it with the coffee. The pairing is godsend."

I nodded as I did and instantly I felt bittersweet in that it was the most beautiful pairing I've ever had and I was both happy and sad to discover it so late.

We finished our breakfast in silence as we both filled our empty stomachs.

"You speak Italian well," I said five minutes into our drive back home.

Ethan Clarke smiled, chuckling lightly. "I had to. Rosa kept speaking Italian to us as we grew up. Naturally, I spent a couple summers there working at our Italian branch so I caught on pretty quick."

I nodded at how nonchalantly he had stated that fact, as if it was the norm to spend your holidays working at your family's business branch overseas.

"You ever been?" he asked, his eyes meeting mine momentarily before focusing back on the road.

I shook my head. "No, but I've always wanted to go there."

"You'll love it. It's so beautiful. Maybe the next time I-" an awkward pause followed as the sound of the wind reverberating against the car as it rushed by filled the silence.