29. Chivalry over Coffee

My anxiety of running into Ethan Clarke after what had transpired the night before was unwarranted as I didn't see him when I woke up on Monday morning and tiptoed down to the living room, nor for the rest of the day as I worked or later in the evening as I went to bed.

The only testament to there being someone else occupying Building X was the sound of keys at the door right before the door opened and closed.

It was after midnight.

I only knew because I was up all night waiting for him to return.

Not because I worried for him, but because I was conscious of just how loud silence could be, and being in a huge mansion, all alone was still something I was slowly getting accustomed to.

Tuesday, the only evidence of his presence was the cup and sppon that was still wet from being washed by the sink. He returned back home at eleven that night.

By Wednesday, my mind was slowly drowning with questions that seemed to pile on and on as the hours passed.

Was he avoiding me ?

If he was, why?

He was the idiot that had dragged me here in the first place.

If he didn't want me staying here, then why in God's blue earth did he tell Mrs Clarke for me to move in?

The only reprise I had was when I went to do my shifts at the hotline at the end of the day. The only time I was able to take a real break from Building X and the Clarke's and relax.

"You look like you haven't slept in days, love," Susan commented when I walked in on Wednesday evening.

She was standing by the water dispenser, filling her cup. She quickly handed me a cup before filling another, her eyes wandering to me, hooded in concern.

"Thanks. You look great yourself," I tried to laugh it off as I took a drink of water.

"Laugh all you want, but you're not fooling me. You need to take a rest. You've been overworking yourself lately," she touched my back lightly. "Maybe you should head back home. I can cover you for today."

I shook my head as I took a sit at the station I was usually at. "I'm okay. I'll get all the rest I need during the weekend."

"I can ask Leah that-"

"Please don't," I interrupted. The last thing I needed was Leah being worried over nothing. And it was nothing. Because I knew it was just the lack of sleep from staying up too late trying to acclimatize.

Susan sighed as she pressed her lips together showing her conflict before nodding after I pleaded with her.

Seconds later, the phone rang breaking our conversation.

"0800-Help-Me," I began as I answered the caller.

I slipped into bed later that night and sleep easily claimed me. I didn't know what time Ethan Clarke returned home that night.

On Thursday, I woke up to the shrill ring of my phone.

Thinking Susan had said something to Leah, I answered the phone nervously.

"Good morning sweetheart," her bright voice greeted me as I sat up on my bed rubbing sleep from my eyes.

I managed to mumble out a good enough greeting before she continued.

"So I heard..." she let her words drag out silently as if she was waiting for me to add on, but when I didn't say anything, she continued, "You'll be at the fundraiser this Friday?"