24. Ethan Clarke Never Jokes

SONG : NON STOP - EXO

•••|||•••

I arched a brow at Ethan Clarke, my brows furrowed together in confusion as the words he had just said slowly registered.

You'll be my live-in maid.

The words kept on circling my head, round and round, making me feel almost queasy with dizziness.

Ethan Clarke watched me with an almost nervous expression as if he was waiting for my reaction. His entire body was tensed as he stood rooted in his spot, frozen.

My eyes darted over to Julian, who was still standing beside me. He had an amused smile on his face as if I was the best television he'd ever watched in years. He lifted his brows up at me as if to ask me what I thought of Ethan Clarke's words.

I bit my lower lip hesitantly before casting another quick look over at Ethan Clarke. When I saw that he was still waiting for a reaction, I came to the only conclusion I could in that moment.

It was a prank.

Although I didn't know the reasons or intentions of Ethan Clarke for concocting this bold-faced lie, but I knew without a doubt that he was definitely playing a joke on me.

I burst out laughing, my laughs echoed loudly in the patio and I wouldn't be surprised if everyone in the main building could hear me.

"Nice one," I said, pausing in between laughs to cast a quick glance over at the two men. "That's a really good one."

Writing their confused looks off to be due to their surprise at how fast I caught on, I laughed again.

"Did you actually think that I would believe you?" I asked again when neither of them offered an explanation as to why they had decided to prank me.

I wiped the tear drop that had fallen because of how much I'd been laughing, as I straightened myself.

Neither of them had said a word and the silence had quickly taken the excitement out of it.

"So?" I prodded, my eyes rested on Ethan as I waited for him to speak. I didn't know where my confidence was coming from but at that moment I went with it.

"So what?" he asked, his brows hooded over his eyes, giving him an almost intimidating look.

If it wasn't for the fact that I knew he was most probably annoyed at his prank failing, I would've been slightly intimidated.

Ethan Clarke looked over at Julian who in turn shrugged at him.

"Why did you decide to prank me?" I asked, bringing his attention back to me, my tone inferred that there was an underlying 'duh'.

His frown deepened at my words before he spoke. "Why did I... When did I-" Ethan Clarke stopped himself, then as if a switch had been flicked, his look of confusion disappeared and in its place was a Cheshire cat smile that chilled me to my bones. It looked like he was a predator that had a prey cornered.

Involuntarily, and without any thought, I took a step back, away from Ethan Clarke and towards the exit.

His eyes darted to my feet almost instantly, and if anything the evil smile on his face got even more monstrous. But somehow, I hate to say it, he still managed to look handsome.

"Oh, Ms Bishop," he began, making a tsk tsk tsk sound, pausing momentarily as if he enjoyed how much I resembled his prey right then. He took a step forward. "You think I'm joking, aren't you?"