23. Delusional Desires

SONG : OBSESSION - EXO

•••|||•••

I got home a little after nine thirty. I would've arrived earlier if I hadn't dawdled. My mind had been filled with trepidation over the impending run in with Ethan Clarke.

Despite my desire of never having to see Ethan Clarke ever again, I knew that I would eventually run into him. I wasn't delusional. I was going to run into him, if not in Building X, somewhere in the main building for my foreseeable future since I would be under the Clarke's employment for a good while.

My mind drifted to what Leah had said last week about the managerial position that would open up soon and that I should apply. The only downside that it would be a couple of months before the position would open up and until then, I was stuck with the possibility of running into Ethan Clarke again.

My stomach grumbled as soon as I entered the house, reminding me that the granola bar, apple and half a sandwich I had downed at five wasn't enough food to fully satisfy my empty stomach. I pondered over going to grab my dinner from the oven where I knew Gerard had left it. My mouth watered as I remembered him saying that he was making beef stroganoff and strawberry shortcake for dinner.

But as I headed towards the kitchen, I remembered having already run into Ethan Clarke on two occasions whilst getting my dinner. With my luck, I knew that I might just run into him again if I headed there.

Quickly, I turned around and hastily yet quietly tiptoed to my room, hoping that I wouldn't alert him to my presence if he really was in there. That night I went to bed, hungry and annoyed at the man that made me hide away from him as if I was the one who had done wrong.

It was almost ten when I woke up the next morning.

I smiled as I remembered that it was Saturday. I rolled in my bed after seeing the clock, not the least bit worried about being late because it was my day off.

I would've felt guilty about having two consecutive days off work if it were not for the fact that I didn't want to be anywhere near Building X or its owner.

My stomach growled savagely and I sat up instantly feeling the hunger pangs start. I had gone off to sleep without dinner and my stomach was making me pay for it.

I quickly washed up, thankful as always that I had a small bathroom and toilet in my room. It made everything more convenient.

The smell of fresh bread greeted me as I walked into the kitchen.

Gérard and Elizabeth stood behind the counter, a dough in front of them, arguing over whether oven proofing was better than the old fashioned way of letting dough rise in room temperature.

I smiled as the chef and the old maid argued back and forth oblivious to my presence. They were two people that I had slowly grown close over the month that I'd started working at the Clarke's. Even though I didn't see Elizabeth that often given that I worked at Building X the entire day, her friendly smile when we did meet and how soft-spoken she was always made the exhaustion fade into the back of my mind.

I could see the blush that was slowly coloring Gérard's face and I smiled at how bad he had it for Elizabeth. They were five years apart and from what I'd heard, right after Diana, they were the longest to be employed by the Clarke's. It hadn't escaped me that as much as Gérard had feelings for Elizabeth, she was oblivious to it.

After it seemed like their argument had continued long enough, I cleared my throat, drawing both their attention to me.

"Ashleigh!" Elizabeth exclaimed in shock as her face burned up in embarrassment, most probably from the situation. She took a hasty step away from Gérard before brushing her hair of any nonexistent mess.