Slowly Crossing Over

Joohyun rushed back to her house as if she was chased by a monster, but her inner demons sure didn't stay at the front door when she entered. They kept tormenting her mercilessly. She shut her eyes, catching her breath for a moment, and tried to quiet them down.

« Someone got all pretty to see her boyfriend »

Joohyun groaned, opening her eyes to find Kyung-Mi leaning against the door frame leading inward the house with a cocky smirk « I didn't » Joohyun spat, walking up to the stairs.

« You're a terrible liar, Joohyun » She told her.

« And you're a terrible sister » Joohyun snapped back, not even glancing at her as she disappeared upstairs. She confined herself safely in her room and the first direction her eyes took was toward the closet. She clenched her jaw but walk up to it anyway. She turned on the lights of the tiny room and got to the back of it, her hand reaching hesitantly for a certain drawer. She looked behind her as if someone would sneak in and see her secret even though she had locked the door of her room. She gulped and turned her attention back to the handle that she twisted slowly as if some wicked toy would come out to frighten her. She opened it and her heart leaped when she was greeted, as expected, with Seulgi's hoodie that she had put there in the morning. She reached for it with a shaky hand and felt the fabric in her grasp. She closed her eyes and lifted it to her nose. For an instant, Seulgi was by her side, smiling. She desperately wanted her to hold her in her arms and not let go for the rest of her life « Why is it like this? » She choked up. She took the piece of paper Seulgi had given her earlier from her pocket and unfolded it, scanning the words on it « Why are you so nice to me, Kang Seulgi, when I've been nothing but a bitch to you? »

-

She had debated with herself for hours before deciding to go to sleep without checking what Seulgi had given her. But her mind had other plans than to let her sleep peacefully. As a result, she was staring at her closed laptop for the past three hours, her body hurting to be in the same position for this long without a single movement. However, she had had enough. She got up, snatching the device from her desk before sitting back in bed. She took Seulgi's list and searched the first thing written on it.

-

Morning arrived before she even went through half of the list but she didn't stop, not until knocks on her door startled her. She slammed the laptop shut and slid it under the covers before her mother entered without an invitation.

« Joohyun, you are still in bed! » She clicked her tongue with a disapproving expression « We have guests for lunch remember » She said, opening the curtains that made Joohyun squint her eyes with a groan « Your father and I are going to church, you better be ready when we get back with the guests » She warned but a soft smile spread on her lips at the sight of her daughter. She leaned over and pressed her lips against her forehead « I noticed you were very tired and tensed lately » She brushed her hair delicately « I told your father that we'll give you some time to relax »

« Really? » Joohyun let out surprised. She didn't even know the word 'relax' was part of her parents' vocabulary. Since she was born, her life had been meticulously planned out by them, and having free time meant it was just more time to study harder. She was in her last year of high school, a year where she was supposed to work even harder. So, why did they cut her some slacks? Did they fear she was starting to lose it? Was it that obvious? Maybe that was why they didn't obligate her to go to church or join some neighborly parties anymore. « I'm fine, mom »

« You can't say that with bloodshot eyes, Joohyun » Her mother sighed, squeezing her shoulder before walking away « Put on the dress that I got you » She said over her shoulder as she exited her room.