What Now?

When Joohyun stepped inside her house, Mrs. Shin was the first person she saw. However, she and the Kangs immediately heard multiple voices coming from the living room. They looked at Mrs. Shin with intrigued eyes and the middle-aged woman just politely smiled at them.

« Good morning, Ms. Joohyun, Ms. Kang, Mr. and Mrs. Kang » She bowed her head at them very respectfully « Ms. Kyung-Mi and Mr. Hyun-Woo are talking with their parents » She explained.

« They're here? » Joohyun was surprised that they came back so soon. She thought they would stay away for a while but it made her happy to know they were here defending her.

« They have been here for two hours » Mrs. Shin told them.

Joohyun was afraid to ask how it was going given that the voices from the living room were loud. They were probably fighting and she wondered how long would it take for her father to disown them and kick them out.

« Are they arguing or fighting? » Seulgi asked what she was thinking but was afraid to ask out loud.

« Arguing is the appropriate term » Mrs. Shin nodded « But don't worry too much. Ms. Kyung-Mi and Mr. Hyun-Woo have a lot of arguments » She smirked slightly.

« We have a lot of them too » Mrs. Kang told her with the same smirk.

« Shall we then? » Mrs. Shin pointed toward the living room. The Kangs turned toward Joohyun who took a deep inhale.

« Are you ready or do you want to leave? » Seulgi asked with concern.

« I'll never be ready I think but let's do this » Joohyun said with determination. She held onto Seulgi's hand tighter. She wanted to be happy and she was ready to face her parents for that. With assured steps, she walked up to the living room where her family was. Hyun-Woo was unsurprisingly sitting on the couch, looking as relaxed as always. Kyung-Mi was standing next to him, arms crossed over her chest, appearing very calm yet determined and firm in her stance. Mrs. Bae was sitting in an armchair, her face presenting that she didn't have much sleep that night. Mr. Bae was pacing around the room with a tense demeanor. He seemed to have too many thoughts that he couldn't quite process immediately.

The four of them turned toward the newcomers as soon as they entered and Joohyun could feel the tension in the air. It was so charged that it was almost difficult to breathe. She felt Seulgi squeeze her hand and it reminded her to breathe.

« Hi! » She let out with a tight throat.

« Hi, Sweetie! » Mrs. Bae immediately replied, which made everyone look at her. Joohyun's eyes widened. Did her mother just call her 'sweetie' after all that happened?

Mr. Kang cleared his throat « Well, uh...Please, take a seat » He offered to the Kangs « Mrs. Shin can make you beverages. Maybe some tea or coffee? »

« We'll take some tea » Mr. Kang sent a smile to the other man and Mrs. Shin. The woman nodded and headed outside while the couple sat next to Hyun-Woo who smiled brightly at them.

Joohyun was frozen in place but Seulgi stayed by her side calmly, squeezing her hand a few times to help her. Mr. Bae observed his daughter and her girlfriend quietly before he spoke:

« Joohyun, would you sit, or do you prefer to stay there? » He asked coldly yet, unlike yesterday, there wasn't anger.

« I...uh...I'll stay here » Joohyun answered, taking a deep breath « I....I need to speak about this » She told them. She needed to get everything off her chest, especially if it was possibly going to be the last time they saw each other. Mr. Bae pursed his lips.