Epilogue Pt1: Proud

Joohyun smiled at the painting above the bed, peace flowing through her body. She remembered drawing the little rainbow forming at the end of the waterfall. It was an unintentional detail that became one she affectionate dearly because even if it was a landscape painting, there was a part of her and Seulgi in it. It wasn't only their secret place, it was them, and they were part of it.

A pair of arms wrapped around her waist transporting her back to one of those bright days there.

-

It was a week after they confronted her family. Her father was still a bit distant but he slowly shifted. Her mother had told her he was reading the book she had brought about the history of the LGBTQIA+ community in South Korea and the one on how to support your queer kid. He treated Joohyun well, better than ever actually, but he did not only with her but with Kyung-Mi and Hyun-Woo as well. He was more around, discussing with Kyung-Mi about law and politics. He asked how the game Hyun-Woo was making was progressing and listened to his son's passionate explanations even if he knew nothing about it. He looked at Joohyun's art and even asked how Seulgi was doing. He was still a bit awkward around them all but the effort was visible.

Her mother, on the other hand, was glowing. She even began cooking again, which she hadn't done in years because Mrs. Shin was doing it for them. But she started to come to the Kangs household and learned the recipes from Seulgi's father. She even went golfing with her mother, a first for Mrs. Kang.

Seulgi and her had left the house to get some air, hand in hand in direction of the Reve park. They went to the waterfall, as they did many times before at that point. Joohyun found herself drawing Seulgi taking pictures of the flowers. Very quickly, the other girl had become her muse, even if she wasn't directly in her drawings, in one way or another, it was always related to Seulgi.

« Can I move or should I stay still until you finish? »

Joohyun raised her gaze to find Seulgi still squatting near the bush of purple flowers and snickered « One more hour » She joked and Seulgi groaned.

« I'm in pain already » She pouted but didn't move.

« I'm joking » Joohyun chuckled « Get up, you big baby. I never asked you to pose for me in the first place »

Seulgi grunted as she stood up « I know you're drawing me. I was just trying to be considerate » She put the lid on her camera lens and sat next to her, leaning against her side and analyzing the drawing « It's amazing, Joohyun » She pecked her cheek.

« You always say that » Joohyun observed.

« Because it's true » Seulgi simply replied, kissing her this time. As they pulled away, they looked into each other's eyes, content and happy « I have something to give you » Seulgi whispered, pulling away completely from her and reaching for something in her bag. She took out a large and flat brown envelope and handed it to her.

« What is this? » Joohyun's brows knitted as she took it.

« Open » Seulgi chuckled.

Joohyun carefully took out the glossy papers in it and her brows rose. It was a picture of her. A candid one that Seulgi had taken at this place the first time they were here. It was funny to Joohyun how the girl in the picture didn't feel like her. She was tense and a hint of sadness was detectable in her gaze. So much had changed since then and that expression never appeared again in the mirror when she saw herself. She wished she could say to this girl all the good that would happen to her.

She slid onto the next one, another portrait of her, more recent this time. She was radiating happiness in this one. Her smile was bright and genuine, her eyes were alive. How could she be the same person that the last picture, she didn't know but happy tears formed in her eyes.