Story of Love

The girls began eating their pizzas, quietly watching Yeri's moms expectantly. Joohyun was awaiting their life-tell with a lot of interest. If these two women could fall in love and conquer other's judgment at a more conservative time, she surely could find the strength within herself to love herself and to find happiness and love. She briefly glanced at Seulgi who was taking a bit off her slice of pepperoni pizza and smudged a bit of sauce on her lips. She bite her inner cheek to suppress her smile. She looked back Yeri's moms to not make it obvious to anyone who would look at her.

« I was born in the US » Tiffany began to tell them « and when I was 16, my parents told me we had to go back to South Korea because of my dad's work. Of course, I didn't want to. My whole life was there and I had never been to South Korea. Also from what I knew, it was a very conservative country. We had to wear uniforms in school and all...and I was a FREE GIRL » She said the last words in perfect English, which made them chuckle.

« Free girl! » Taeyeon mocked her way of talking before taking a bite of her pizza. Tiffany lightly pushed her shoulder, laughing.

« Anyway....I arrived in Seoul reluctantly and my parents enrolled me in school. I was very unhappy that they chose a traditional Korean school but the very first week I heard about Kim Taeyeon » She turned to her wife with heart-eyes « Three guys from our school used to make nasty comments to her for years and she never reacted, but that day they became a bit...demanding physically, if you know what I mean » The girls nodded in disgust « Well, Tae didn't let them put a finger on her. She beat them up to the pulp »

« I just got my black belt in Taekwondo at the time. I had to put it to good use » Taeyeon shrugged.

« As you should have, Mama » Yeri gave her a proud thumb up, making her mother laugh.

« A week later, after much talk, I saw her enter the classroom with a cast from her wrist up to her elbow. She looked very badass » Tiffany smiled at her wife, putting a loving hand on her thigh before turning her attention back on the girls « However, we didn't talk to each other until a few days later » She paused, trying to remember exactly when it happened.

« Five days » Taeyeon said precisely « Tiffany was hard to miss. She was beautiful and the way she wore her uniform was very unique » She looked at her embarrassed wife affectionately « She was wearing a pink bow, which wasn't part of the dress code and she got in trouble multiple times for it »

« It was my way to express my individualism » Tiffany countered cutely « And you liked it » Taeyeon nodded, raising an eyebrow. Joohyun smiled seeing how much they were so affectionately open toward each other. There wasn't any shame present in them; about who they were nor about their love. They loved each other, they were two women, and that was it. As simple as that. They were unapologetic about it and it made Joohyun want to be able to feel that way.

« She approached me in the yard during a break and handed me some of her notes » Taeyeon continued.

« It was the perfect excuse to get close to her. I told her I could share my notes with her since she had a cast, and she warmed up to me » Tiffany smiled, bumping her shoulder against Taeyeon's.

« She wouldn't leave me alone but I liked it » Taeyeon confessed, making Joohyun smile at their softness « We became best friends even if we secretly began crushing on each other »

« You didn't confess? » Joohyun asked them both and they shook their heads.

« We were too scared that it wouldn't be reciprocated. And at the time, it definitely was very taboo » Tiffany said « But....high school was about to come to an end and I was going to college while Taeyeon was going to work with her parents. I thought that we would drift apart and that eventually we wouldn't see each other so I...took the chance »