Reaching Out (TW)

TW: Mention of Suicide

Joohyun stopped abruptly, firmly holding onto the railing of the banister. She felt suddenly weak when her eyes set on Seulgi downstairs. The girl lifted her gaze to meet hers and electricity coursed through Joohyun's body. However, she didn't have the time to appreciate the sensation because she saw her mother next to her and a cold sweat ran down her spine. She rushed down the stairs, almost tripping over and breaking an ankle but she couldn't let her family figure out her relationship or her feelings toward her classmate. When she set foot down the stairs, she was actually immediately addressed by Seulgi.

« Hey, Joohyun! I brought some ideas for our literature project » She quickly spoke. Joohyun frowned for a few seconds before she understood Seulgi's plan. She glanced at her mother, hoping she didn't notice her hesitation.

« Oh, yeah...uh...you're fast » She looked back at her. The oxygen was feeling so pure as she finally allowed herself to breathe.

« I got inspired » Seulgi shrugged but Joohyun knew what she was referring to. She was there to change her mind. She felt her heart flutter at the thought but it also pained her that Seulgi held onto her while she got hurt.

« Why don't you girls go study in Joohyun's room? » Her mother proposed, oblivious to the situation in front of her « School is important. You should take it seriously » She said while looking at Joohyun. She knew her mother was thinking she was slacking off. Joohyun had never been good at group projects because...well, it had to be done with other people.

« We'll do that » Joohyun said without much emotion present in her voice nor on her face. It made Seulgi tilt her head, intrigued. Joohyun had her defenses up high.

« Well then, study well, girls » Mrs. Bae said before disappearing within the large depth of the house. Joohyun grabbed Seulgi's wrist and dragged her upstairs. Seulgi tried to follow without tripping. Once on the first floor, Joohyun's eyes fell on Kyung-Mi who was smirked as if she knew her secret. Joohyun glared at her and continued her way to her bedroom. Seulgi sent a little smile to Kyung-Mi, getting quickly led away. The oldest raised an eyebrow at her sister's friend, watching them rush into her room.

Joohyun shut her door behind them and Seulgi didn't have time to look around that Joohyun half-whispered half-shouted « What the hell are you doing here? » Seulgi raised her hands in front of her, hoping to calm her.

« I know. I'm sorry. It wasn't supposed to go this way »

« Oh, yeah! » Joohyun came closer to her « Did I not make myself clear? » She tried to appear intimidating but it never worked on Seulgi. She knew it was just a facade.

« I just wanted to drop this letter » She raised the envelope that was now useless.

« What is that for? » Joohyun gulped as she noticed the proximity she had gotten herself into.

« I need to talk to you. Don't push me away, Joohyun » Seulgi let out in a whisper with all her heart. Joohyun took a deep breath, closing her eyes. Of course, she didn't want to but she had to. For Seulgi's sake. She didn't know if she had enough self-control to fight her for long though. With every interaction with the other girl, she became weaker. She didn't know why she put her hand above Seulgi's heart at that moment, feeling her tense for a second under her touch before relaxing.

« Stop » She whispered, her head low « Please » She pleaded weakly.

« No » Seulgi answered firmly, making her look back up at her.

« Why? » Joohyun wondered with a trembling voice « I'm gonna hurt you. I already do » She choked up. Seulgi shook her head with conviction.

« No, you don't and you won't. I... »