Butterflies in her Heart

When Joohyun woke up, the computer screen allowed her to open her eyes next to a still asleep Seulgi. She smiled of that bright smile that was only reserved for the other woman. A smile that only appeared on her face very recently but a smile that she would want to hurt her cheeks forever.

She grabbed her phone on her nightstand and had to capture the cuteness that was on display through the screen. She thought that she should paint that scene, and maybe she will one day but she had to finish the painting she had started first.

It was with a broken heart that she had to cut the video call. At this hour of the morning, her mother could burst in at any moment and she didn't want to find an explanation as to why she was watching a classmate, that she supposedly barely knew, sleep. However, she messaged Seulgi as to why she did it, wishing her a good morning first. And after she got back from the bathroom, she had a text from her: 'Good morning to you too :) Hope I didn't snore too loud :/ Can't wait to see you in school » Joohyun inhaled deeply as a wave of warmth invaded her body. She looked at the bright sun outside, smiling so wide that it burned her cheeks. Was it what being happy was supposed to feel like? If so, she wanted that forever.

« Oh, good, you're already awake »

Joohyun jumped out of fear, turning to find her mother at the door. Her startled face must had gave away her nervous state because a frown appeared on her mother's face.

« Are you alright? » She asked with concern.

« Yes » Joohyun simply answered, putting her school books in her bag as if nothing happened. Her mother's eyes settled on the unfinished painting and she approached it curiously.

« You paint again? Is this a...landscape? »

« I...I'm doing it again because it use to relax me so I hope it will still do » She explained « And it's from a picture I saw on the internet »

Her mother nodded understandingly « It looks promising. I'm happy that you are doing better. Your face glow again » She smiled at her.

« Thanks, mom » Joohyun sent her a small smile.

« Now, let's get some breakfast before you go to school »

Joohyun let out a heavy sigh when her mom left the room. Even though there was nothing in the room that could give away her secret she couldn't help the nervousness that she felt when her mother was in her room. The weight of the secret was heavy on her heart when she was in this house.

When she got to the dining room, her mother was with Kyung-Mi, and her father was, as usual, reading the newspaper.

« Good morning, father. Good morning, Kyung-Mi » She greeted calmly as she took her place at the table. They both replied to her but in different ways. For her father, it was an automatic response, there wasn't much interest in his voice and he didn't even lift his eyes toward her. Kyung-Mi, however, was the complete opposite of what she usually was. She smiled at her and replied in a sweet voice that even got their mother surprised. Joohyun smiled back at her, feeling really happy with how her sister was now treating her, and it showed to her that their conversation of the prior day really had changed everything. Joohyun was proud of that. She was proud that for once she had stood up for herself and that it had a positive impact on her life and her relationship with her siblings. Of course, one day couldn't erase decades of unspoken conversations and hidden feelings but it was one step in the right direction.

« Joohyun is painting again » Her mother announced to make small talk, which gained the attention of her father that raised his gaze above his newspaper.