You Feel Like Safety

« This is delicious, Mr. Kang » Joohyun thanked the man in front of her as she continued diving into her spaghettis. The dinner had been going well. Seulgi's parents were very kind to her and made the conversation easy. They didn't ask her much questions either and Joohyun wondered if Seulgi had talked to them while she had been in the restroom.

« Thank you, Joohyun. I'm glad you like them » He smiled warmly at her, taking a mouthful of his own creation.

« Dad's a chef at a hotel » Seulgi informed her « He rarely cooks at home but I guess because you are here they wanted to make an impress » She obviously joked.

« Yah! Kang Seulgi! » Her mother groaned « Why do you make us look bad? » Joohyun chuckled and Mr. Kang shook his head with a smile.

« She kind of got us there, Honey » He said to his wife who had to admit the truth with a nod and a sigh.

« Don't worry, you don't look bad in my eyes at all » Joohyun reassured them as Seulgi smiled teasingly at her parents.

« Thank you for that, Dear. You can come by anytime you want then » Mrs. Kang joked, making them laugh.

« Oh, by the way » Her husband looked at his daughter « I can't drive you to school tomorrow, I have to get to the hotel early »

« It's okay, dad. Don't worry » Seulgi waved off, knowing how hard he was working.

« But you can take my car » Her mother interjected « I want to walk to the office tomorrow. The walk today made me realize I need some fresh air »

« Okay, thanks » Seulgi said before turning toward Joohyun « Mom works at a pharmaceutical company »

« I'm doing administration work, Seulgi » Mrs. Kang chuckled « You always make it seem like I work in a lab » Seulgi shrugged and it made them all laugh. Joohyun looked around the table with a genuine smile. She wished the atmosphere at her house would be the same.

_

After the wonderful dinner, Seulgi led Joohyun back to her room « Do you want to take a shower first, or should I? » She asked her once they reached it.

« Go ahead, I need to digest a bit » Joohyun rubbed her full content stomach.

« Okay. I'll prepare a towel and some pajamas for you » Seulgi said before she made her way inside the bathroom. Joohyun nodded and found herself alone when the door closed. She let out a deep sigh, looking around a bit lost. She didn't really know what she should do now that she was alone. She went to her bag that was on the armchair and took out her phone, the missed calls from her sister and brother appeared first but she deleted everything with a sudden knot in her stomach at the prospect of their upcoming confrontation the next day. She sighed and sat on Seulgi's bed, beginning to shop for painting supplies online. By the time Seulgi got out, she was torn between two types of easels but forgot rather quickly when she set eyes on the other girl. With no make-up on and her baggy combo of grey sweatpants and a long sleeves white shirt, Seulgi was, as always, stunning. Joohyun gulped heavily but thankfully Seulgi didn't catch it.

« You can go in, I put everything you need on the vanity »

« Thanks » Joohyun put her phone on the nightstand before taking her necessities in her bag and rushing inside the bathroom. While she was inside she had the time to compose herself and when she got out, Seulgi was sitting on her bed, reading a book. She lifted her eyes toward her and when they met hers, Joohyun, for the first time in her life, felt like it was the most real moment she had lived. Why now? She didn't know. It's just that....She felt that Seulgi was real and that she was too. It was simple, random, and yet....overwhelming. She didn't know if Seulgi felt it too, she couldn't tell. Seulgi simply closed her book and got up.