Chapter Three: Dinner Disaster

Hale's Aesthetic

"Finally, someone who can see!" Annie exclaimed, throwing her hands up to the air

We finally had the chance to discuss freely at study hall and with annoyance I explained what Angelo thought of his own cousin.

"What do you mean?" I asked her, folding my arms.

"The same thing I've been meaning ever since I noticed you making goo-goo eyes at Hale in sixth grade!" Annie said, blinking her hazel eyes at me.

Susan snorted a laugh without looking up from her book.

"You're too kind and sweet to be with him, Violet. He really is a jerk." Annie continued.

I sighed, "He's not that bad."

"He never listens to you!"

"That would probably be because she doesn't say things" Susan suggested, pushing her glasses up her nose.

"Yeah!" I enthused, pointing at her before pausing. "Wait..."

"Okay then, Susan's got a point, you should speak up, you know" Annie shrugged.

"I know, it's just...a habit now" I stared down at my text book, hopelessly. Annie and Susan put their hands on both of mine and I looked up to their encouraging faces.

Annie's fierce and determined but Susan's kind and warm.
"You'll be fine"
"Everything would be alright"
They said at the same time.

I smiled at them.
"Don't get me emotional for no reason, guys" I fake sobbed and they both laughed.

At lunch time, the moment I saw the crowded popular table and compared it with the quiet, lonely table near the window, I knew exactly where I wanted to sit.

"Violet, over here!" The jocks called and waved, Hale was seated amongst them, watching on.

He was still mad at me from this morning for coming late and over eating...

"See you later, Violet" Susan said and they both left me to make my choice.

I sighed and walked over to the popular table.
"Hale," I said when I got there, waving at the football guys and the cheerleaders. "Hi"

"Hi" he said and pat the empty space next to him.

"Um, I'd really like to sit with my friends today" I said, making sure my voice was audible.

I took a quick glance around, everyone was minding their business and Angelo was no where to be found.

Hale held his hand out for mine and when I took it he yanked me down to his level so he could whisper in my ear. I had to balance my tray with one hand and hold myself up on his shoulder with the other.