Chapter Twelve: Sleepover

My house was quiet except for the rain that was pouring outside and the sounds of my own cracked, sobbing voice.

Moo stayed still and even leaned into me as I cried into her warmth, hugging her close to me. She hadn't moved once and that was just completely surprising. She really didn't mind me spiraling into despair right in her black and white fur.

"I should have just kept my mouth shut, I shouldn't have said anything" I sobbed, "I made things worse, this is all my fault. I wish I wasn't so stupid and helpless. I can't even get anyone to help me. Franca's going to kill them, just like she... she..."

"Meow" Moo said, moving so she could nudge my head with hers. She was such a perfect cat and that made me cry some more.

My pity party was interrupted by a knock on the door. It couldn't be dad because he had a night shift at his restaurant tonight and he had his own key too.

Oh no, it was Hale, he'd followed me here!

My shoulders shook hard as more tears flowed down my face and I tried to hide in Moo's fur. No more. I didn't want any more trouble today.

"Violet!" Angelo's voice called, muffled by the rain and my head jerked up immediately. Not Hale, Angelo. In the rain!

I carefully put Moo down and jumped to my feet, practically running the short distance to my door. Through the glass I could see him and I quickly unlocked the door.

"Angelo!" I gasped, opening the door wider to let him in. He was drenched and his black outfit nearly blended him in with the night, his wet shoes soaked through the carpet but that didn't matter. "Your luggage..."

"Leave it, it's waterproof" he called over the rain and I closed the door before turning to face him.

He had his arms around himself and I couldn't see it but he was definitely shivering.

I ran the back of my sleeve under my nose, sniffing.

"He made you cry." Angelo stated, his eyebrows coming down as he focused on me.

"I'm so sorry!" I sobbed, fresh tears springing anew. I hid my face in my hands as the sobs shook my shoulders.

"Violet, stop. Please stop crying." Angelo said softly, he made no attempt to touch me and I was glad because that would just make me cry more.

Moo came out of the living room to meet us in the corridor, meowing as she rubbed herself on my legs. I picked her up, knowing she was just trying to comfort me.

"Wait..." Angelo blinked at my cat, "this is what you were trying to paint? The cat-cow is real?"

He looked so genuinely confused that I had to smile, "She's not a cat-cow."

"Well, obviously" he murmured and turned to sneeze into his elbow.

"I'll get you dry clothes, please take that off." I said and put Moo down so I could hurry up the stairs to Dad's room.

Immediately I got the clothes, I went back down to meet him in the exact same spot but with his shirt off. "Sorry, I should have told you to sit." I murmured, looking everywhere but at his chest.

"I didn't want to get water everywhere" He replied "I'm guessing your Dad isn't home."

"No" I shook my head. "He'll be back by midnight. You can sleep here, do you want hot cocoa?" I wanted to do anything I could to help.

"Yeah, cocoa sounds nice, Violet. I need to change first though, wet pants and all" he said and I nodded immediately, showing him to the guest toilet near the living room with a huge blush on my cheeks.