Chapter Twenty-six: The Real Villain.

Twelve Years Ago.

"It's your turn to wash your hands, cousin." Little Angelo announced, bravely hopping down from the stool near the sink.

Six year old Hale looked up at him in wonder, he could never hop down like that, he was scared of heights, and the dark, and broccoli, and yucky stuff, and loud noises, and...

"Come on." Angelo urged, wiping his runny nose with the back of his just washed hand and rubbing it off on his shorts. Hale knew Angelo wasn't afraid of germs, he was a big boy.

"Okay." Little Hale said and climbed up the stool to run his hands under water. But all of a sudden, the stool was whipped out from under his feet and he smacked his chin on the sink before falling on his behind, stunned.

"Heehee!" Angelo grinned innocently as he dropped the stool and hurried out the back door into the garden.

Little Hale sniffed, rubbing his eyes with his fists, he only started to bawl when his aunt walked into the kitchen

"Oh, Hale, baby what's wrong?" Heather Frances-Sullivan cooed, bending down to pick him up, cradling his head to her shoulder. "Was it Angelo again?"

"He made me fall." Hale sobbed.

"Oh no, let's go talk to him." Heather sighed, brushing her golden hair over her shoulder with her free hand.

She opened the door to Angelo playing in the grass with Pedro and two other immediate cousins, Marc and Anthony.

"Angelo."

"Yes mommy?" He replied, looking up with bright eyes that narrowed when he saw Hale in his mother's arms. "Pick me up too!"

"Only after you apologize to your cousin." Heather said and her son's shoulders slumped.

"Sorry, Hale." He said a bit grudgingly but Heather scooped him up in her other arm and squeezed them both, showering them with kisses till they both started to giggle.

"Okay now, you two ready to play?" Heather asked.

Angelo nodded, "Uh-huh, yup."

"Good, play together, no more fighting. Angie, is that clear? Be nice."

After they both agreed, she set them down to run off, Hale struggling to keep up with Angelo's quicker pace.

The boys were gathered around something by the time he got to them and he had to squeeze in to see what it was.

"If you run with it like this, the flying thingies start to spin really fast." Pedro explained as he showed off the action figure in his hand. "Who wants it?"

"Me!" Little Hale pipped.

"I do!" Angelo said and grabbed the action figure from Pedro's hand.

"I was first!" Hale screeched but Angelo was off, running around the garden with the action figure up in the air, propellers spinning.